Fact or fiction?

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
I had an issue with both of my passenger side tyres losing 5psi of air a week and the drivers not losing anything. So, suspecting nails or something else in both of the tyres, I went down to the tyre store and got them to check them out.

No punctures were found, but the source of the leaking air was actually the rim. Here's where I'm scratching my head...they said because of salt during the winter (we get a lot of salt), the rims start to corrode, being aluminium I didn't think this could happen, but apparently it does, the corrosion pushes against the bead of the tyre and it starts to leak. They cleaned both rims where the bead goes against the rim with wire brushes and put liberal amounts of bead sealer on them before reinstalling the tyres and checking for leaks. One was ok, but they had to redo the other to stop the leak.

The guys there said that there is not too much that I could do to stop it, but what about having the wheels stripped and powder coated? Obviously a new set of wheels would be a fix but there's more important things to do before that.

ETA: No comments about my spelling...I grew up in Australia and we use the Queen's English. :raspberry:

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
Matt said:
ETA: No comments about my spelling...I grew up in Australia and we use the Queen's English. :raspberry:

I agree!

Back on topic. I had the same type of issue the other day, but with one of my valve stems (with the built in TPMS). The shop said it had rusted badly in 2 places due to it being aluminium. I had never thought about it until I had tried to put air in the Tyre and it just kept hissing.

stormsurge

Jan 29, 2012
Yes. I changed tires for a bit and found this alot. Same as they did but i used sand paper or steal wool around the beed.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
Yes it is fairly common with aluminum rims I have had to deal with it in the past with my car. Some shops even clean the rim and then while installing the tire run a bead of silicon around the bead (do not know what kind) but it stopped my leaks.

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Thanks for the replies. I've been checking the pressure for the past couple of days before I take the truck out and they seem to be holding air ok.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher