F+R speakers or really good front components only?

Lima Tango

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I've always done the typical Front and Rear 4 speaker 4 channel configuration, but I've been thinking about nixing the rear entirely and just doubling the budget (and wattage) for some really good components in the front only.

My plan is something along the lines of a 100w RMS set (Polk dxi6500 possibly) with a bridged 4ch amp (Alpine MRP-F300) to power them accordingly. This would complement the single Alpine MRP-M500 and 10" sub sealed setup in the rear. I have an RE Audio SE10 but the dust cap got destroyed, not sure if I can fix it or if I will have to replace the sub. My repeated requests for support from RE Audio have been ignored, so I'm definitely not buying another one of that brand.

I'm not at all a SPL type, so I'm trying to keep the budget reasonable since I won't turn it up past comfortable listening level anyway. It's rare that I have rear passengers, and if I do, I usually have the music quiet enough to talk over anyway.

Since I've never done a front only setup before, any experience y'all could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

LT

MMIN

Feb 26, 2012
F+R speakers or really good front components only?
I've always done the typical Front and Rear 4 speaker 4 channel configuration, but I've been thinking about nixing the rear entirely and just doubling the budget (and wattage) for some really good components in the front only.

I would highly recommend upping your budget for the fronts and just leaving the back alone or putting a lesser set in. A better set of speakers up front is going to far out weigh 2 decent pairs. There are some vehicles that using the front only just isn't an ideal situation and takes a lot of work to get good sound from. Having 6.5" up front is a great starting point and you can find some great sets to pick from. Leave the rears off the head unit for rear fill or fade them out until the kids are in the back. The polks don't have very strong midbass but since your running a sub already they could be a good choice for you. I would also recommend the SLC line from Rainbow, the mid-to high end JL Components, or even some of the mid-high end JBL systems.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher