Exhaust Recommendations?

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
So I'm getting the mod itch again, and I've done some searching on here and it seems to be a toss up between Magnaflow and Flowmaster. I plan on keeping the factory setup and resonator, just swapping out the muffler. Seems a little counter intuitive, but I'm looking for noise, while keeping it looking stock. Other mods are coming later performance wise, I just wanna hear this thing rumble, and hear it a bit when accelerating.

I'm torn because I like the sound of the Flowmaster 40, but I don't want obnoxious drone in the cabin. There doesn't appear to be too many videos with it on the 5.3, or captured in cabin. I plan on keeping this as a single exhaust since I'm not all that into duals. I figured by going single, the drone won't be too bad. My driving style is mostly highway, I don't mind hearing the engine too much, but I wanna still hear the radio and have a conversation. The Flowmaster Super 50 was my next choice, its not as aggressive as the 40, but it "supposedly" doesn't have the cabin drone most say the 40 has. I don't really know much about Magnaflow, Walker, Thrush or Borla. I would be happy just to hear it rumble nicely at idle, make some noise when accelerating but not fill the cabin to the point where its annoying/headache inducing when cruising at highway speeds.

If anyone can chime in that would be great, I wanted to keep this to the V8 section since there were a lot of posts for the I6. I'm also asking because I'm being offered a decent deal on the 40 locally, so I figured I would post here to hear some thoughts before proceeding to get it. A lot of the past threads were a bit older and opinions change so figured I'd ask anyway!

Last edited:
Reactions: rizzo20

rizzo20

So I'm getting the mod itch again, and I've done some searching on here and it seems to be a toss up between Magnaflow and Flowmaster. I plan on keeping the factory setup and resonator, just swapping out the muffler. Seems a little counter intuitive, but I'm looking for noise, while keeping it looking stock. Other mods are coming later performance wise, I just wanna hear this thing rumble, and hear it a bit when accelerating.

I'm torn because I like the sound of the Flowmaster 40, but I don't want obnoxious drone in the cabin. There doesn't appear to be too many videos with it on the 5.3, or captured in cabin. I plan on keeping this as a single exhaust since I'm not all that into duals. I figured by going single, the drone won't be too bad. My driving style is mostly highway, I don't mind hearing the engine too much, but I wanna still hear the radio and have a conversation. The next Flowmaster Super 50 was my next choice, its not as aggressive as the 40, but it "supposedly" doesn't have the cabin drone most say the 40 has. I don't really know much about Magnaflow, Walker, Thrust or Borla. I would be happy just hear to hear it rumble nicely at idle, make some noise when accelerating but not fill the cabin to the point where its annoying/headache inducing when cruising at highway speeds.

If anyone can chime in that would be great, I wanted to keep this to the V8 section since there were a lot of posts for the I6. I'm also asking because I'm being offered a decent deal on the 40 locally, so I figured I would post here to hear some thoughts before proceeding to get it. A lot of the past threads were a bit older and opinions change so figured I'd ask anyway!

I have the same thing in mind for my 5.3 but haven't researched it too much. I will say this though, I was pleasantly surprised by how much more I heard the exhaust just by cutting off my resonator. Before removing it, I didn't really hear any exhaust note to speak of from the drivers seat. Now when idling or going through the gears, I hear the V8 sound. When I quickly run up through the gears the sound from the engine compartment kinda covers up the slight throatiness of just easing up through the gears. I want it to be a little louder but not droning.

The only experience I have with Flowmaster was a 50 series single cat back system on my '05 Hemi Ram. It wasn't obnoxious but was louder than I'm looking for in my Envoy. I then went to a dual outlet catback Borla system that looked amazing but was only slightly louder than the stock Hemi exhaust. I realize its not a 5.3 and has little to do with our situation but thats all I have to go on in my experiences.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Single vs dual doesn't implicitly affect drone. That is more a result of many other factors, which single vs single may play into but it isn't guaranteed to avoid or create it one way or the other.

I have single exhaust on my Silverado all the way back, but have drone for example. On Friday I'm actually putting a Y right after my muffler (because I like the sound of my muffler so much but still want dual out the back), and we'll see what that does to the drone, then I'll be putting a J pipe in at the appropriate length to negate the drone if it still exists.

Simply chopping my tail pipe from the factory exit point behind the rear tire to just being over axle changed the drone range considerably, so even pipe length can have an effect.

If you haven't, look into J pipes. It at least may give you an option to kill drone if you get any.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Drone is all about harmonics. On the I6, it is just awful with any performance muffler. On my 5.3 Saab, I have never experienced what it was like with a resonator because I bought it without one. It sounds OK without it.

Looking on Walker's site, they show a resonator but don't even give a part number for it nor the muffler, which is odd.

I have a 3" single stainless JBA headers system on my dead '02 TB 4.2L that I will be transferring over to the Saab. Will be interesting to see how it sounds with the V8. With the I6, no matter the muffler, it sounded like an overgrown Honda ricer. As far as I can tell, the routing is the same.

Last edited:

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
I have the same thing in mind for my 5.3 but haven't researched it too much. I will say this though, I was pleasantly surprised by how much more I heard the exhaust just by cutting off my resonator.

Removing the resonator was enough to make a difference? I didn't think it would sound that much louder. I do plan on removing it eventually if the drone isn't that bad with the new muffler. Then again, the rear bumper covers it so its not exactly an eye sore. I did call a few muffler shops near me, and nobody seems to have experience with the 50 series on this platform. I had one tell me it was a dumb choice and I would lose too much back pressure resulting in sluggish performance. The 40 seems to be popular around here near me, I'm apparently the "first" to ask about swapping the original out on an Envoy. I love the sound of the hemi, sucks its an entirely different beast compared to the 5.3.

Single vs dual doesn't implicitly affect drone. That is more a result of many other factors, which single vs single may play into but it isn't guaranteed to avoid or create it one way or the other.

I have single exhaust on my Silverado all the way back, but have drone for example. On Friday I'm actually putting a Y right after my muffler (because I like the sound of my muffler so much but still want dual out the back), and we'll see what that does to the drone, then I'll be putting a J pipe in at the appropriate length to negate the drone if it still exists.

Simply chopping my tail pipe from the factory exit point behind the rear tire to just being over axle changed the drone range considerably, so even pipe length can have an effect.

If you haven't, look into J pipes. It at least may give you an option to kill drone if you get any.

Oh okay! I figured that duals = loud. Mostly anything I've seen truck wise around here usually has a dual setup, and its ridiculously loud. I'm pretty much learning what I can about exhaust setups as I go along, I didn't know the pipe range played such a part in the resonance. So the J pipe should help cut some of the drone down? I assume its because of the bend that acts almost like a "filter" causing some of the sound to be lost as it exits?

Drone is all about harmonics. On the I6, it is just awful with any performance muffler. On my 5.3 Saab, I have never experienced what it was like with a resonator because I bought it without one. It sounds OK without it.

I have a 3" single stainless JBA headers system on my dead '02 TB 4.2L that I will be transferring over to the Saab. Will be interesting to see how it sounds with the V8. With the I6, no matter the muffler, it sounded like an overgrown Honda ricer. As far as I can tell, the routing is the same.

Thats why I figured I would keep this topic here since its been discussed so much on the I6. After hearing so many different sound clips of what the I6 sounds like, its hard to determine what it "could" be like on the V8. The stock resonator just makes it too quiet for my taste, my next step is chopping it off but thats if I decide to not swap out the muffler just to see how it is. Like Walker, Flowmaster and Magnaflow don't have the 5.3 listed under the Envoy/ Trailblazer. The SS didn't even appear when trying to track a part number down on their websites, I ended up calling just to get some help. If my camera is able to pick up noises well, I plan on recording whatever setup I go with, so its at least something to go by noise wise.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Added this thread to the FAQ to hopefully get some good info.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
A J pipe is capped at the end, connected to the main exhaust pipe on the other end. It basically acts as a resonating chamber, and the length affects its resonant frequency. At the correct length it will be a direct inverse of the resonant frequency of the drone, canceling out the drone. Pretty cool actually.

Some more info in this link from when I started reading about it (since I have drone I'm gonna be killing)

https://www.performancetrucks.net/f...xhaust-resonator-tube-eliminate-drone-489463/

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Oh wow! I didn't even know that existed. So you pretty much keep the sound your looking for, but kill the drone all together (if the measurements are correct). Not a bad idea! So I could probably just run a straight pipe in place of the factory resonator, attach a J Pipe and all is well?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I've heard 5.3 pickups with flowmaster and they're loud. But I love the flowmaster sound. The j pipe is a cool idea. The only vehicle I have that drones and doesn't have stock exhaust is the vette. And c4s drone no matter what you do... never a fan of magnaflow very take sounding

rizzo20

Removing the resonator was enough to make a difference? I didn't think it would sound that much louder.

Yes. I faintly heard the exhaust note from the drivers seat before losing the resonator. After cutting it off, I can now easily hear it. One thing to note is I haven't added an extended tailpipe to reach the rear of the vehicle so some of that sound may be bouncing back to me from under the rear body. Also, this isn't very safe to run it like this because of carbon monoxide poisoning (which Im sure you already are aware of) I plan to get the tailpipe extension done this weekend, so we'll see how much that changes the sound.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This kind of slides towards being a bit OT... but I thought I'd risk suggesting a "Deeper Mod" that might catch your fancy:

Here is the thing … Nobody can ever hear what a vehicle sounds like as it is heading down the highway for two reasons... but you might suffer the discomfort of all those "Brain Vibrating" Harmonics while trying to achieve your sound and comfort level and observe that:

(1) Your “Audience” will only have a very brief window to “listen at you” as you drive past them…
(2) Your Mobile “Audience” will be too busy driving and paying attention to their own actions to appreciate what your vehicle sounds like.

However…

When you first start up the vehicle ...and when you approach every single Red Light or Stop Sign and Your Engine and Exhaust System sounds like THIS… All Heads will turn towards your SUV-Truck and your Audience WILL listen closely if the engine is Rumbling and Cam Loping like this one. It is THAT action and it is THAT sound which speaks directly to what the engine is trying to conceal and contain under the Hood ...with your foot on the brake at idle as the potential for power and performance that you will ultimately get to demonstrate… as soon as that Red Light ...turns Green.

Ignore the fact that these GM Vehicles are not SUVs ...as the salient issue here is that they are GM 5.3L or 6L V8 Engines as the important consideration to the discussion. It does not make any difference what flavor of SUV or Truck these engines are bolted into… Properly Cammed and Tuned GM LS V8s pretty much all sound just like this one:

This Dude provides a complete Breakdown of what you will require to get the Cammed Upgrade, DOD Delete and VVT Delete accomplished for around $1,000.00 (PLUS $300 to $500.00 for the Necessary Tune).

The difference between HAVING the Sounds and Access to V8 Engine Real Power and having the Illusion of it... are not even close. So if you are inclined to want something more that just the Moon-Cast Shadow obtainable using an expensive, modified exhaust system… Saving up for the Real Deal work, such as the Ultimate Engine Camshaft, DOD and VVT Delete Mod… and getting REAL performance and power afterwards for your hard earned Dollars is an idea you might consider as a much more satisfying alternative.

If you intend on "Turning Your Own Wrenches" on this GM 5.3L Engine Modification... Watch this series on "A Complete GM 5.3L Motor Re-Build... with a Mild Cam Job" being done for a Jeep Motor Conversion... to learn about all of the steps involved with the GM LM-7 (Close Enough to an LS V8 Platform for study):

Last edited:

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
@MRRSM Holy cow! That Silverado sounds beastly. My idea for mods was just getting new headers, but this blows it out of the water. I love that old school muscle car sound, and figured I could somehow slide a bit by just swapping the muffler for now. With the engine just turning over 173k, I figured its nearing the end of its service life and would be a waste to dump all these mods on it at this point. I'm getting a break on the muffler + install in the $140 range which was better then the $250 the other places were quoting me.

If the engine does eventually go, I would definitely consider doing the whole sha-bang. I was looking for fun and found a couple of 5.3 Iron Block's from Yukons and Avalanches in the 05 year, and if those are able to be directly swapped in to place the LH6 I would so do it. Then again, if the price was right, I would just go straight to the 6 L for the extra "oomph". I would gladly do the swap and build myself, but I lack the tools, know how and skills to do it unfortunately. My only option would be to find a reputable performance shop, or shop in general that can do the work without breaking the bank.

Back on topic though, I think this does fall under as a "recommendation" for something even better!

@littleblazer That's my experience as well with SUVs/Pickup trucks around here, I love the sound of the Flowmaster but they take it to overkill level. I heard Magnaflow develops its own drone after a while, once the break in period ends. Not exactly sure if its true, but they are a little more "quieter" and "composed" sounding compared to Flowmaster.

@rizzo20 I'm definitely interested in hearing how that goes! So you have the pipe cut to where the rear axle is, or like half way under near closer to the muffler? I think the resonator is a little "too" good on mine, I can't even hear the note. Which was funny, because I could easily hear it on the Traiblazer when I had it, one rev and I could instantly hear the note once the RPM's picked up and settled down even though it was the stock exhaust. Unless it was different on the EXT models, but I can't imagine why.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
@MRRSM Holy cow! That Silverado sounds beastly. My idea for mods was just getting new headers, but this blows it out of the water. I love that old school muscle car sound, and figured I could somehow slide a bit by just swapping the muffler for now. With the engine just turning over 173k, I figured its nearing the end of its service life and would be a waste to dump all these mods on it at this point. I'm getting a break on the muffler + install in the $140 range which was better then the $250 the other places were quoting me.

If the engine does eventually go, I would definitely consider doing the whole sha-bang. I was looking for fun and found a couple of 5.3 Iron Block's from Yukons and Avalanches in the 05 year, and if those are able to be directly swapped in to place the LH6 I would so do it. Then again, if the price was right, I would just go straight to the 6 L for the extra "oomph". I would gladly do the swap and build myself, but I lack the tools, know how and skills to do it unfortunately. My only option would be to find a reputable performance shop, or shop in general that can do the work without breaking the bank.

Back on topic though, I think this does fall under as a "recommendation" for something even better!

@littleblazer That's my experience as well with SUVs/Pickup trucks around here, I love the sound of the Flowmaster but they take it to overkill level. I heard Magnaflow develops its own drone after a while, once the break in period ends. Not exactly sure if its true, but they are a little more "quieter" and "composed" sounding compared to Flowmaster.

@rizzo20 I'm definitely interested in hearing how that goes! So you have the pipe cut to where the rear axle is, or like half way under near closer to the muffler? I think the resonator is a little "too" good on mine, I can't even hear the note. Which was funny, because I could easily hear it on the Traiblazer when I had it, one rev and I could instantly hear the note once the RPM's picked up and settled down even though it was the stock exhaust. Unless it was different on the EXT models, but I can't imagine why.
172k is nothing. Should run to 300k no problem.

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
172k is nothing. Should run to 300k no problem.

Really? I didn't think the DoD Engines could make it that far given their history. Though, it doesn't appear DoD was ever "activated" on the SWB Envoy/Rainier for the 05 model year. :undecided:

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
According to this, they were.

LH6

One quick way you can tell if you have it or not is the vacuum sensor located on the brake booster. If you have it, you have DoD.

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
According to this, they were.

LH6

One quick way you can tell if you have it or not is the vacuum sensor located on the brake booster. If you have it, you have DoD.

Yeah there is a vacuum sensor, but check this out. I found the picture of the RPO code list when I first got the Trailblazer, I noticed it has "DOD" as a code option. Below it is the RPO list I took a bit ago from the Envoy. It's missing "DOD" as an RPO code even though it has the same LH6. I remember searching and coming across a post from the OS, where someone mentioned the SWB Envoy and Rainier had DoD disabled because of the drone in 4 cylinder mode that was corrected in the exhaust setup in the 06+ SWB.

I came across it by accident, got curious when I noticed only the 05 XL and EXT had lifter failures, and why the 06+ SWB/XL/EXT were affected while the 05 SWB wasn't.

Whoops. Derailed my own thread haha.

05 Trailblazer EXT. RPO
HdRg1JZ.jpg

05 Envoy Denali RPO
mk4sEUP.jpg

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
As long as you catch and fix any issues as they happen it's all good. It's when you let them run rampant that you have problems.

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Excellent! I'm glad to know these can be reliable with the right maintenance, I know the iron blocks were capable of easily hitting that + but didn't know if it held true for the aluminum block or not.

Jasongr81

Jun 29, 2017
Springfield, Ohio
I have called every exhaust shop in my city to see how much it would be to put a Flowmaster with dual exhaust exiting out the sides behind each rear tire, and they all say it cannot be done. Does anyone here have that done?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I don't know if you can do true duals or not, but a single in/dual out muffler with dual exits can be done.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
They do it on the ss don't they?

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
I don't think you can have one exit on the left side behind the wheel, due to the gas tank and spare tire....might be able to sneak 2 out the back bumper around the spare...

Blackwater

Aug 14, 2015
Lawton, OK
The guys at flowmaster recommended me a flowmaster big block 70 series (853072) to go with my pacesetter mid length headers (72C1346). I asked about duel exhaust if it would improve the power and was told that even with the factory cats it will flow enough for a mild setup on my 2007 classic GMC sierra.

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Small update:

After being tied up with work and school, I finally have time to tackle this again. I'll be taking the Envoy into the shop next week to get her fitted with a muffler. I think I narrowed down my searches. I was originally aiming for a Flowmaster, but it seems to be hit or miss and not many videos with it on an Envoy/TB that still have the factory piping and resonator in place. I listened to a few exhaust clips from Yukon/Tahoes that were running a Magnaflow XL #13749 that had the rumble/sound I'm aiming for.

I read a few reviews on the first one, it does check off the things on my list as far as 0 drone goes, while still having sound when accelerating. The second is the #11229 on the TB SS that seems to be pretty popular. There were mentions of it sounding good with the stock resonator with little drone in the cabin, while still being fairly loud when getting it higher in the RPM range.

What do you guys think? I've included the videos for both to get a general idea. I'm honestly torn haha.

Clip of an SS running the 11229 muffler with stock resonator in place.

Yukon

"
"

Last edited:

Kelly@PCMofNC

Mar 16, 2013
I don't think you can go wrong with Magnaflow either way, but personally I like the 11229 a little better! I've had the full magnaflow catback on several different platforms, it's perfect in my opinion, sounds great when you get on it, deeper at idle, but not obnoxious in any way.

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
I don't think you can go wrong with Magnaflow either way, but personally I like the 11229 a little better! I've had the full magnaflow catback on several different platforms, it's perfect in my opinion, sounds great when you get on it, deeper at idle, but not obnoxious in any way.

Thanks for the response Kelly! Just got back a bit ago from the shop. This muffler fit the bill perfectly, the idle sounds great, its got the growl on acceleration but is composed at cruising speeds. Looking to get a video up this week on how it sounds.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online