Exhaust options

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I tried to upload picture(s); however, it states file is too large for server. How do I go about posting my pictures?

You will have to compress the picture to 1MB or less in order to upload. If you are uploading from a phone, you can download a picture compress app. If using a computer, you can use Microsoft picture manager.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Or, upload your photos as-is to a host site like Photobucket. Once it is there, you use a link from it and the picture is displayed from there, not stored on this server.

Getting ready to have my exhaust redone as the pipe in front of the muffler has a honking hole in it. The V8 rumble is nice! When the last muffler got a hole (rust - imagine that in MI!), the sound of the V8 was sweet. I didn't want to go too loud as my youngest was just born and I didn't want a lot of noise when she was in the truck. But now that she is 3, I'm ready for a bit more of that awesome SBC sound. I may go with a Thrush Turbo as I like the sound of that muffler. I had two in my '97 Isuzu Hombre (aka S-10) with a SBC in it. True duals with no cats. Fun project. Sometimes I wish I still had it.

Reactions: Chickenhawk

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Re pics on phone too large, I change camera setting to lower res and crop the whole pic, I upload the low res cropped pic n then then delete it from my phone.

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Like a lot of people on here, I have a Magnaflow on my 4.2. It's not terrible, but it's grown a little loud for my tastes. I've actually considered adding a resonator, which may at least help with some of the drone at 50mph.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've had 3 aftermarket mufflers; JBA headers (with its SS 3" system), a Dynomax VT and a Magnaflow. The VT was good at first until the spring for the internal valve failed and was just always loud. JBA was just loud. The Magnaflow was pretty good at first but I think the packing is failing because it is also louder.

The I6, IMHO, is not a good sounding engine. In all my cases, it just sounds like a big droning ricer. I'm hoping to swap that exhaust to my 5.3 Saab and just put in a stock system in my TB, minus the thrash can.

Here's all 3 of them:

JBA:

Dynomax VT (with failed valve):

Magnaflow (when it was brand new):

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Anyone tried out the Gibson exhaust system. Saw a lot of videos but just can't get the tune. That's the only aftermarket exhaust system I can find here sadly. If the Gibson is a good sounding exhaust ( like a V8 ) then I'll start saving o for that. Otherwise trash can delete us getting closer and closer

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You will get nothing like a v8 sound PERIOD. I personally did not like the Gibson in person.

--The last few posts give me hope for my new Magnaflow setup since I think it is a bit too quiet for my tastes honestly and i just welded a dump on it.

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
You will get nothing like a v8 sound PERIOD. I personally did not like the Gibson in person.

--The last few posts give me hope for my new Magnaflow setup since I think it is a bit too quiet for my tastes honestly and i just welded a dump on it.

So resonator delete will be the way to go. Next thing would be to find a good shop to weld in a new pipe and tip. Personally I love the side exhaust exit ok my dads Yukon. So Il be going the same way. I heard that different tips make a difference. Is that true ?!?!

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Tips make zero difference, no matter what people try to tell you, they just look pretty, that's it.

There are a small handful of videos on the Gibson, but if the TrailBlazer one is similar to the Gibson systems I've seen on other vehicles, it won't last. They rust like crazy.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Bull. I had all same exhaust with two different tips and without a tip and tip does makes a difference(Heck...lots of children around from just the tip).

Going from a 3 to 3.5 inch tip did nothing, but going from just the 2.75 pipe to a 18 inch long larger diameter tip on the end of the 2.75 pipe did make a sound difference. Not volume, but in the depth of the tone. Deeper and more mellow.

Reactions: dmanns67
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I'll have to disagree. I've reserved that it's one of those "show" items. Everybody I know that's installed them has seen zero difference. Maybe there is, and it's so menial that I've yet to notice.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I am not going off what other have seen, but what I dealt with in live action. There is zero performance benefit, but there is a sound difference.

EDIT: Just a simple google search and you can find 1000's of discussions of tips and the size/style/angle/rolled vs smooth edge and all other variable of tips or lack of tips affecting sound of exhaust. It seems it is all sound, but difference is discussed time and time again over many platforms and manufacturers.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmanns67

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Why would you say that?

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I installed one on a 2002 Volvo V70 T5. The car had a custom 2.5" OBX TBE system, we tossed an 12" Magnaflow resonated tip on it, and there was no difference in sound at all.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
:iagree: with HT on this one. I have used (5) different style tips on my I6 from resonated, single wall, dual wall, straight/angle cut, round, oval, and now dual outlet and they all have produced a different exhaust frequency. Its not a huge difference, but a difference that I can hear especially between resonated versus non resonated tips. I am speaking to having the OE muffler and resonator deleted.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Its simple physics. If the tip affects the flow or pattern the sound will change.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sweet did it work?

Need before and after pics!

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
:iagree: with HT on this one. I have used (5) different style tips on my I6 from resonated, single wall, dual wall, straight/angle cut, round, oval, and now dual outlet and they all have produced a different exhaust frequency. Its not a huge difference, but a difference that I can hear especially between resonated versus non resonated tips. I am speaking to having the OE muffler and resonator deleted.

I read that the muffler delete causes a ricer like sound. So I would like to hear your experience with the muffler delete

Tips make zero difference, no matter what people try to tell you, they just look pretty, that's it.

There are a small handful of videos on the Gibson, but if the TrailBlazer one is similar to the Gibson systems I've seen on other vehicles, it won't last. They rust like crazy.

The Gibson one for the Trailblazer replaces the muffler and resonator as well :

http://gibsonperformance.com/i-2272...r=2009||make=CHEVROLET||model=TRAILBLAZER, LT
and it comes in both Aluminized and Stainless steel, but I don't understand why it would rust?

Also wont I need to get a tip anyways if I go with the resonator delete anyways?!?

Please excuse my "dumb" questions but I am NEW to everything modding :biggrin:

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Also wont I need to get a tip anyways if I go with the resonator delete anyways?!?

Please excuse my "dumb" questions but I am NEW to everything modding :biggrin:

You don't need a tip. You can just add straight pipe out from under the vehicle. That is what was done on my truck when the res was deleted. Whoever did it (it was done when I bought the TB) brought it out behind the rear tire like a traditional truck exit.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Many people have hacked off the resonator and let the stock piping as is without issue. I did that for awhile til i did a custom catback when a new muffler was merited. Some say you need to get the exhaust out from under the vehicle, but many vehicles have run turndowns for decades. Just know that it is possible fumes will build up and seep in loose seams and such. Not much chance on trucks sealed like ours, but seen some bad things happen with old ruaty jeeps n such

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
My mechanic had a Gibson side exit system on his '01 Sierra 5.3 that lasted from 2012-15. I highly suggest looking at the Gibson if you live somewhere that doesn't see snow.

Also, I didn't hack the tip. All my DeWalt batteries were dead.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Dont bother, you said can't hear a difference anyway:thumbsup:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I read that the muffler delete causes a ricer like sound. So I would like to hear your experience with the muffler delete

I am not sure about a muffler delete as I have never done it. Like I posted above, I still have the OE muffler and just deleted the resonator.

The muffler and resonator are two separate parts on our TB. The muffler is under the passenger side of the vehicle. The resonator is under the rear bumper on passenger side.

You have many options. Straight pipe the exhaust all the way back, hack off the resonator and keep the OE muffler, replace the OE muffler with a performance muffler, etc.

To answer your question, keeping the OE muffler and deleting the resonator does NOT cause a "ricer like" sound.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
But swapping the muffler does. Trust me...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Not every muffler goes ricer, but some do

Reactions: djthumper

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
My mechanic had a Gibson side exit system on his '01 Sierra 5.3 that lasted from 2012-15. I highly suggest looking at the Gibson if you live somewhere that doesn't see snow.

Also, I didn't hack the tip. All my DeWalt batteries were dead.

Snow in my country would be like going to space :biggrin:

I am not sure about a muffler delete as I have never done it. Like I posted above, I still have the OE muffler and just deleted the resonator.

The muffler and resonator are two separate parts on our TB. The muffler is under the passenger side of the vehicle. The resonator is under the rear bumper on passenger side.

You have many options. Straight pipe the exhaust all the way back, hack off the resonator and keep the OE muffler, replace the OE muffler with a performance muffler, etc.

To answer your question, keeping the OE muffler and deleting the resonator does NOT cause a "ricer like" sound.

That was what many people suggested, keep the OE muffler and hack the resonator. That was my original plan, then went on YouTube and saw some gibson exhast videos and checked their site out which replaces the OE muffler and hasn't got a resonator, hence wanted to get some experienced tips on that. I guess I will go with the resonator delete

You don't need a tip. You can just add straight pipe out from under the vehicle. That is what was done on my truck when the res was deleted. Whoever did it (it was done when I bought the TB) brought it out behind the rear tire like a traditional truck exit.

Please correct me if I am wrong, you're saying that the exhaust coming out of trucks with no resonator is mostly or always just a straight pipe and no tip?

And if it would be possible I would like to see how your exhaust looks, I want to go a similar route and have it exit behind the rear tire

THANKS to EVERYONE for their great replies. :2thumbsup:

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Please correct me if I am wrong, you're saying that the exhaust coming out of trucks with no resonator is mostly or always just a straight pipe and no tip?

And if it would be possible I would like to see how your exhaust looks, I want to go a similar route and have it exit behind the rear tire

I don't know about most or all trucks, just the folks who are too cheap to put a tip on! :rotfl:

Here is a picture from when I changed the rear shocks, and one showing the truck from a little farther away. Unfortunately I can't get a current picture as the end pipe rusted through where it was welded on and is sitting in my garage. I am going to get the exhaust rebuilt soon, and will have it exit at the same location. The person that did it cut the plastic at the lower edge of the bumper cover wrap-around. I don't like it, and wouldn't have done it that way - I would have just let it come out right under it, but whatever now. The only way to fix it would be to replace the bumper cover. Not that big of a deal for me!

IMAG0909_zps5644ba15.jpg

Squarehaul.jpg

We do get a little snow here, so vehicles (and especially exhaust systems!) rust like crazy...

20131112_082755_zpsf8c6e21d.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I don't know about most or all trucks, just the folks who are too cheap to put a tip on! :rotfl:

Here is a picture from when I changed the rear shocks, and one showing the truck from a little farther away. Unfortunately I can't get a current picture as the end pipe rusted through where it was welded on and is sitting in my garage. I am going to get the exhaust rebuilt soon, and will have it exit at the same location. The person that did it cut the plastic at the lower edge of the bumper cover wrap-around. I don't like it, and wouldn't have done it that way - I would have just let it come out right under it, but whatever now. The only way to fix it would be to replace the bumper cover. Not that big of a deal for me!

IMAG0909_zps5644ba15.jpg

Squarehaul.jpg

We do get a little snow here, so vehicles rust like crazy...

20131112_082755_zpsf8c6e21d.jpg

I guess that's true. Anyways thanks for the info and pics. Looking forward to seeing how you get around to it :2thumbsup:

tricguy007

Dec 7, 2011
I have the Gibson cat back 2.5" at first I thought it was great seems like the truck woke up on the top end but after running it for two years it just gets a really bad and loud droning noise at certain RPM's I'm changing mufflers to a dynomax

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Trust me, Dynomax is no better, especially after the spring for the valve breaks then it's just loud all the time.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online