Exhaust guidance

Trekie47

Original poster
Aug 5, 2019
Brimley Michigan
Hi there, I am looking to replace some of my exhaust system. Pretty much just replace the muffler, and probably axe the resonator, and i was hoping for some insight. While looking into this i saw some people brought up 2.5 inch and 3.0 inch and exhaust back pressure. Now as stated in one of my previous posts fuel economy is very important to me as i do alot of driving for my job so im looking to just augment the sound, but keep stock performance to keep my fuel economy up

I liked how this sounded, but i couldnt find any more information on it and i'm afraid that it might be too loud for pizza delivering. Really difficult to tell through a video.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
CARID carries a series of Magnaflow Mufflers... and the item that looks the closest to the one depicted in your YT Video is shown here:

The minimal reviews indicate it has a decent, deep sound without being too aggressive.. .but these are always very subjective impressions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trekie47

Trekie47

Original poster
Aug 5, 2019
Brimley Michigan
CARID carries a series of Magnaflow Mufflers... and the item that looks the closest to the one depicted in your YT Video is shown here:

The minimal reviews indicate it has a decent, deep sound without being too aggressive.. .but these are always very subjective impressions.
would exhaust back pressure be an issue with this as it exits as a 4" ?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Off topic, but I saw this just a couple mins ago, and then this thread... and I had to share..

BF9515C5-F053-4167-8269-D337E3466287.jpeg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I had tried 3 different mufflers after installing a JBA headers 3" cat-back system. No matter which muffler I used, they just made it sound ricey although the Magnaflow was the better one. There's no way to make it sound like a V8 except to transplant a V8 into it. None of these were overly loud.

Reactions: mrrsm and Trekie47

coveman

Jun 26, 2021
Boulder
A couple thoughts: OEM designs for fuel efficiency and noise abatement, you probably wont do much better with an aftermarket system. I had a crack in a weld on my burb’s muffler so I decided to try some aftermarket pipes and mufflers. Firstly, avoid anything that is not stainless steel, that “aluminized steel” crap flowmaster sold me lasted less than 2 years. Had a wicked drone too.

The stainless magnaflow has lasted several years now and I went with a less aggressive model that was mostly drone free, but I had added a bunch of acoustical mat before I installed it.

Fixing the drone was an education in exhaust design, and honestly I wish I had fixed the broken weld on the oem system as it was probably best.

On my motorcycle i had experimented with different pipe sizes and found basically the same thing. with bigger pipes I actually lost mid range power and by the time I added an adjustable supertrap muffler to bring back the mid range i found the oem was probably best.

If you like it loud, go aftermarket but be ready to do some added tuning

Good luck!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Another thing about the aftermarket replacement mufflers. Since these trucks have a weird 2.75" pipe, some aftermarkets basically used a 2.5" muffler and welded on a 2.75" reducer. Walker mufflers are known for this and also increase backpressure.

Trekie47

Original poster
Aug 5, 2019
Brimley Michigan
A couple thoughts: OEM designs for fuel efficiency and noise abatement, you probably wont do much better with an aftermarket system. I had a crack in a weld on my burb’s muffler so I decided to try some aftermarket pipes and mufflers. Firstly, avoid anything that is not stainless steel, that “aluminized steel” crap flowmaster sold me lasted less than 2 years. Had a wicked drone too.

The stainless magnaflow has lasted several years now and I went with a less aggressive model that was mostly drone free, but I had added a bunch of acoustical mat before I installed it.

Fixing the drone was an education in exhaust design, and honestly I wish I had fixed the broken weld on the oem system as it was probably best.

On my motorcycle i had experimented with different pipe sizes and found basically the same thing. with bigger pipes I actually lost mid range power and by the time I added an adjustable supertrap muffler to bring back the mid range i found the oem was probably best.

If you like it loud, go aftermarket but be ready to do some added tuning

Good luck!
well one of my current issues is that i have a 4inch long hole in the muffler, not very wide though, and it makes it sound fairly pleasant on the inside, but the outside sounds flat and like a fart, not to mention the sound coming from the middle of the vehicle.

Trekie47

Original poster
Aug 5, 2019
Brimley Michigan
Another thing about the aftermarket replacement mufflers. Since these trucks have a weird 2.75" pipe, some aftermarkets basically used a 2.5" muffler and welded on a 2.75" reducer. Walker mufflers are known for this and also increase backpressure.
How does increased back pressure as opposed to stock affect engine performance?
Would a smaller, but more free flowing muffler be close enough to stock exhaust pressure ?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It would normally reduce MPG and performance. By how much? Who knows. There was some discussion about this here:

Whatever muffler you chose, you can also lop off the resonator in the back and have tail pipe welded. It does increase the sound a little but does nothing for backpressure.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
From an aesthetic take on the subject... Listen to THIS Exhaust System and see if it has more of what you might be looking for:

Trekie47

Original poster
Aug 5, 2019
Brimley Michigan
It would normally reduce MPG and performance. By how much? Who knows. There was some discussion about this here:

Whatever muffler you chose, you can also lop off the resonator in the back and have tail pipe welded. It does increase the sound a little but does nothing for backpressure.
thanks for helping me figure this stuff out. So say i go with the muffeler MRRSM linked above but i find out its a bit too free flowing. Would simply going with a smaller pipe into the muffler help restore the balance of the pressure in the system and save my precious fuel economy ?

Trekie47

Original poster
Aug 5, 2019
Brimley Michigan
From an aesthetic take on the subject... Listen to THIS Exhaust System and see if it has more of what you might be looking for:

It does sound nice, but to be honest it doesn't tickle my fancy as much as video i linked above does. It's hard to describe as most subjective things are.

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher