Evap

retiredcopper

Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
I have an 09 Trailblazer with the I6 and vehicle won't pass inspection because of evap,but not getting a "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT or CODES"...any suggestions on what I can check first?....

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's probably not getting to the I/M readiness completed for Evap. This was recently discussed and has a drive cycle to get it to complete.

You must be in one of those states that don't allow any incomplete I/M readiness.

retiredcopper

Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
You hit the nail right on the head my brother!...New York...I'm lucky...the place where I have the inspection done are good,been going there for years...any other place would have taken my $37....told me it didn't pass....and ADIOS!....I'll keep putting the miles on it....thanks for the input!...stay safe!!

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
There is a GM procedure to follow to get past the emissions test as well:

General Motors Driving Cycle​

A complete driving cycle should perform diagnostics on all systems. A complete driving cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes.

To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:

1. Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
  2. Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.
  3. Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.
  4. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
  5. Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
  6. Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.
  7. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.
  8. Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.

Reprinted on OBDII web site courtesy of General Motors Corporation
Š General Motors Corporation

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.