Ethanol free gas

irecknso

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Has anyone use ethanol free gas in their 4.2? 2 gas stations close to where I work carry it. Just wondering how much it helped gas mileage?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Consider it liquid gold for your engine. When we ran it on the way home from FL a few years ago my GF hit 26.5 MPG. The best I was able to do at any other point in the trip was about 23. This is all highway of course.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Our premium grades (91 to 93) are ethanol free.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I think the Costco near me in Bucks County, PA is either ethanol free or lower than 10%. My mileage gets back to norms when I fill up there.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

outlaw

Dec 27, 2011
Does anyone have any real world info for the gains they've seen?

The closest one to me is 50miles one way. Don't think it would be worth 100miles to get some corn free 91 octane. Then again, I have been wrong before. Right now we are lucky to get 16-17mpg.

Outlaw

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
100 miles to get it... Not worth it.

On my wifes old car, 1989 Pontiac 6000 STE. We saw a 9 mpg increase in using pure-gas. And with no cost diference, it was money well spent!

On my Voy, its been 2-4 MPG increase. But that was based on only 1 fill up when I went on a trip to Denver last year.

outlaw

Dec 27, 2011
Thanks. I didn't think it would. Maybe have to wait til 1/4 tank and go to the outlet mall near the gas stations lol.

If we make anymore trips up to the dells this year and still have the tb, ill have to make a point to fill up with that to see if there is a difference. The whole pricing thing has gotten us worried (for a lack of better wording). At current prices, it is eh, we can deal with it, we knew what we were getting, but if it jumps that high, not sure what we'll do.

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
There was a station near me that had it. I am wondering if they closed because I can't find it.

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Funny, I just discovered this site myself last night. Unfortunately for me, the only non-ethanol nearby is at the airport, and the location was flagged that they do not charge road-tax, so you cannot fill your vehicle directly. All I can hope for now is that with the elimination of the subsidies, more stations will return to carrying the real thing.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
Wasn't aware at all.

I see serveral listed close to where I live, and areas I travel too. Not to mention I see UNION 76 is big with these pumps, have a Union 76 going in a few blocks away, would'nt that be nice if the have it.

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
No one sells ethanol free gas around here in upstate NY other than a few marinas which you pay a premium for .

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I live near Buffalo and there is a NOCO on route 5 not far from West Seneca that sells high octane 100% gas no alcohol. I know why, lake erie isn't far away so they are catering to the boaters. I buy that for my 1986 mercruiser engine and for all of my small engines, but it is pricey.

Now this probably doesn't help you or the rest of the country viewing this, but my point is that Noco sells it, and it shows the service station on their website as selling "E-FREE 93" gasoline, which means 100% gas and no ethanol. So for anybody looking for this you might find it on noco's website near you. I would think that looking for gas stations near large lakes would help. Boat owners with older engines, and that would be most of us, hate ethanol in gas. There are a lot of older fiberglass tanks and fuel lines that get eaten from the alcohol, which then gets turned into varnish or particles which then gets lodged or deposited in your carburetor. Yes a lot of boat engines are using carburetors, mine even has points and a condensor. Then you have the winter storage thing with gas sitting there for months, the ethanol absorbing any water that is in the air.

To the next person who will post I run ethanol in my engine with no problems, to each his own, :smile:

-Jerry

Dec 4, 2011
JerryIrons said:
I live near Buffalo and there is a NOCO on route 5 not far from West Seneca that sells high octane 100% gas no alcohol. I know why, lake erie isn't far away so they are catering to the boaters. I buy that for my 1986 mercruiser engine and for all of my small engines, but it is pricey.

Now this probably doesn't help you or the rest of the country viewing this, but my point is that Noco sells it, and it shows the service station on their website as selling "E-FREE 93" gasoline, which means 100% gas and no ethanol. So for anybody looking for this you might find it on noco's website near you. I would think that looking for gas stations near large lakes would help. Boat owners with older engines, and that would be most of us, hate ethanol in gas. There are a lot of older fiberglass tanks and fuel lines that get eaten from the alcohol, which then gets turned into varnish or particles which then gets lodged or deposited in your carburetor. Yes a lot of boat engines are using carburetors, mine even has points and a condensor. Then you have the winter storage thing with gas sitting there for months, the ethanol absorbing any water that is in the air.

To the next person who will post I run ethanol in my engine with no problems, to each his own, :smile:

-Jerry

I agree with you. :thumbsup: I fill with Premium (no ethanol) to avoid the absorption of water. The boat sits full all winter with fuel stabilizer and in the spring I transfer the fuel to a vehicle that can handle the old mixture (typically been sitting for 7 months, just can't afford to throw it out :no: ). I have tried to run it through the outboard but it ran like sh+t. In the summer sometimes we don't get out as often as we like so refilling with premium seems like a good idea despite the cost. If we are using the boat a lot I will run regular in it but this is when we can burn up to 50 gallons on a good weekend. :wootwoot:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
I've known about that site for years but have never got gas at the one station in town that has pure gas since it's on the other side of town. I may try a fill up there but the bummer is that it is 91 octane only that has no ethanol so I don't see the value in paying more money to get slightly better mileage. I may try it out of curiosity.

million-miles

Jan 10, 2012
Just remebered to do the mpg on my second tank of ethanol free. I got 19 mpg with some city some hwy and about 20-30 miles of pulling a 1000# trailer with 2 yards of mulch in it. So im pretty impressed with the city driving i was doing and pulling the weight i was pulling remulching my kids pllay area.:thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online