NEED HELP ERROR P0300 Help!?!

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Today i decided to finally get to getting a new battery for my truck.
I swapped out the old Interstate megatron, for a new one. Drive home less than 1 mile away, back up to park and put the truck in park. Than out of nowhere the treuck starts to sound funny like its sputtering like its going to stall out, so i give it a little gas YUP this doesnt sound or feel right. go drive around the block and the truck i sunder powered and sounds like a old Jalopy shaking and stuff. I call the tire shop back who swapped the battery and drive right back there, a battery bolt was loose which they thought was the issue even tho i told them it was error code P0300 with the engine light flashing. I just started a new job last month and rely on my truck. i feel screwed!!!!!

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
84k miles, never changed plugs nor wires to the plugs

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Sounds to me like one of your coil packs went bad. It'll cause misfires and it'll throw a P0300 code if the PCM cannot identify which cylinder is misfiring. Truck will sputter and feel heavily under-powered. Unplug one coil pack at a time and re-plug it back in. If you come across one that doesn't change the misfiring whether it's plugged up or not, there's your bad coil pack.
It won't damage anything crazy if you had to drive your rig for a few days like this. Biggest thing is you'll get is bad gas mileage as the truck is wasting un-burnt fuel that's being injected into that particular cylinder; and it's going right out the exhaust. Although raw fuel is bad for the catalytic converter, but all auto parts stores carry our coil packs on the shelf by the way. So at least you won't be stuck like this for long if it turns out this is your issue.

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
Mine did this the other day but mine was p0306 for a bad #6 coil pack. Replaced with another one I had kept off my old engine but skip persisted with a p0300 code this time and eventually turned into a p0306 code again. Drove it for a day while I had to wait for a snowstorm to pass before trying another and this time it fixed it. Moral is test coil packs if you plan to reuse them I guess. Maybe yours will eventually narrow down which cylinder it is.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Eventually, it will determine which cylinder is missing. Recheck your codes once in a while but try not to drive it too much to not kill your cat. Shouldn't take too long.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Did you clean the throttle body after the battery swap? No telling how long they had the battery disconnected and reset the PCM.

Reactions: Ghost

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Did you clean the throttle body after the battery swap? No telling how long they had the battery disconnected and reset the PCM.
battery swap was less than 1 minute.
I cleaned the TB back in September, i do it yearly. My work i sabout one mile from home so drove the truck today to work, just got off work ( 9 hour shift) and it ran like shit as usual. tmrw i have to drive about 39mi hopefully the truck will be ok, because i have a mechanic who can figure out wtf is wrong with the truck. I sent my gf this afternoon while i was at work to get new spark plugs and coils but the coils they sold her were $19.99 and i think just rubber boots....i went online a few ago and see coil set is about $250 which i cannot afford, HOPEFULLY i just need spark plugs and it isnt something more serious. I am thinking once all is fixed it might be time to sell the truck, and get something newer lol Maintenance is so expensive on this truck oil changes alone set me back about $75 and if i could id do them my self but not zoned for it HOA/garage too small etc.

What i am trying to figure out is what to get next that isnt too bad on MPG that can seat 3 kids conformable, and be a truck, i was thinking about getting a newer malibu 2007 ETC..., BUT i dont think i can drive a car, too low to the ground for me

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online