Erratic Oil pressure Gauge

Davie Chevy

Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Hello; My 2004 Blazer has 135000 mls on the clock, I really love this vehicle. It is in great condition in and out, the only thing that does not work is the CD player. ( but I very seldom ever used it)
the thing that bothers me now is sometime ago I noticed that my oil pressure guage was very erratic but my engine had oil, however when I was changing the oil I noticed that the filter was very slack. I changed the oil and that problem went away, but now I see the same thing reoccurring, I checked fthe filter again and found that it was not exactly slack but could use a little tightening ( I always tighten by hand) so I tightened it again I have not really driven the vehicle since .
Do you think that it could be another problem?
Oh I had replaced the entire gauge cluster after the first time .
Thanks for your help

Jul 24, 2012
Edit: I was going to say the cluster but then I re-read you already did that.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
I'm thinking stepper motor.... despite the new cluster....
Or something in the cluster itself or wiring...
The sender is just a switch not a true pressure sender... on or off basically...
pressure or no pressure....

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Basically, the oil pressure readings you are seeing are fake, made up by the PCM. The sender is just an on/off switch, just like the old idiot lights. When there is no pressure, the PCM will send the gauge to 0 and give a low pressure warning.

So either just ignore it since it is totally useless or fix it. Since you replaced the cluster, maybe it's a wiring issue. Or if the PCM is sending the gauge to 0, it could be the sender/switch. Try replacing it. Not too expensive or difficult to replace.

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online