EPA wants to kill motorsports

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
So the good old EPA is apparently trying to gut an entire industry. Looking SEMA action center is wanting to get signatures to stop it. Not just stopping conversion of street cars into race cars but apparently (if I'm reading it correctly) wanting to make it illegal to do any modifications to any cars.

http://semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa2016FED1&g=SEMAGA

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I saw this a few days ago on the roadkill FB page. Its so stupid.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The number of cars converted to race cars is infinitesimally small. Anyway, Canada will be happy to accept the entire industry! I'm sure we'll be able to feed a nice black market.

Reactions: Robbabob

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
"Under the EPA’s proposed rule, it would also be illegal to sell any performance-related products for those cars."

This would destroy the aftermarket industry. The aftermarket parts world is huge and many businesses would have to close and more US job loses.

Any performance parts will have to be bought from Mexico or in a dark alley like Mooseman mentioned :no:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
They tried to do the same thing in the early '70s. They wanted to make it illegal to use anything except factory parts for repairing vehicles. It, obviously, never passed.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I heard about this crap! I signed a petition against it that a bunch of TBSS owners posted a link to on Instagram

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
They actually try to do this every couple of years. Never goes anywhere, but its getting closer and closer with the newer millennial generation. Allot of them don't drive or are very eco friendly. I myself on the border of that generation. I tend not to associate with any of those.

Reactions: Wooluf1952

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011

<sexist stereotype>
Well there's the problem, the EPA admin is a woman!
</sexist stereotype>

No but more seriously, kudos to the guy for actually going through that document and 1) reminding her that the EPA does not have the authority to regulate competition vehicles and 2) pointing out the apparently attempted "slip-in" of that regulation under a set of rules that (should) have nothing to do with it.

Jrgunn5150

Dec 18, 2014
Ionia Michigan
The number of cars converted to race cars is infinitesimally small. Anyway, Canada will be happy to accept the entire industry! I'm sure we'll be able to feed a nice black market.

That's the logic used in what we call "common sense" emission check states, like Ohio. They have rolling exemptions based on model year, exempt true race car's, and exempt collector car's. They also give a pass to anyone who spends X amount of money on attempted repairs, on the logic that if they could afford to fix the thing, they would, or would be driving a nicer car. Also, if you pass the sniffer, you pass.

For instance, I have a 79 C10, and a 75 F100. The F100 doesn't even run, the C10 has been in the garage since October. Neither are hurting any trees anywhere. But in California, and California standard states, neither would be street legal. No matter what the tail pipe sniffer says, I don't have all factory emission's parts (know anyone with a charcoal canister for a 75 F100 with a 360? lol). Immediate fail. A bit ridiculous.

The EPA recently also sought to regulate Carbon Dioxide, the stuff you exhale lol.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
We (Ontario) have an exemption for anything older than 25 years. The thing is, old and specialty vehicles (like race cars) are a tiny minority in the millions of other cars and trucks. Funny they don't do much about the gross polluters like heavy diesels that spew that black shit out their pipes but will prevent you from driving your diesel VW if the DEF system is not working.

There is another video where the EPA are also trying to go after farmers and being told they're not legal in doing so. Same deal.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Shoot at one point EPA was wanting to mandate catalytic converters and emissions regulations on lawn mowers! Like, seriously?

But you know, that billion gallon toxic waste dump into that river by the EPA is no big deal...

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
EPA needs some ass kicking done to it. Getting too big for its britches

Reactions: Ziggy

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online