Envoyxl - Trailblazer ext parts interchange

Magnumu

Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
Michigan
Can anyone tell me if the rear window and spoiler/third light holder is interchangeable with these models?

THank you

freddyboy61

Dec 4, 2011
Some body parts are interchangeable, but things like the rear hatch and associated surrounding items can be different between the Trailblazer and Envoy, as well as the EXT and XL body styles (long wheelbase models). You do not mention what vehicle you have.

Magnumu

Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
Michigan
I apologize, thought the vehicle info would show automatically. I have a 2003 envoy xl. I believe the glass will exchange with the trailblazer ext, just not sure about the plastic panel at the top that holds the third brake light?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The upper molding is styled differently on the outside, not sure about the mounting points and such on the inside. I can try to snap a pic of the underside of the piece from my EXT when I get home.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
OP - If you're asking b/c your spoiler has bit the dust, I have an extra one that I was going to install, but wound up not using it (my mounting hardware was jacked, and I found a complete window / spoiler assembly that I swapped in, instead. It's black, btw, but even if your original wasn't, black was a 'default' color for this part, and blends in well with the black plastic trim pieces on the sides, underneath the spoiler.

I'm also going to be in Indiana this weekend, so if you're able, I can meet you somewhere on Friday or Sunday to drop it off. I don't have it posted for sale, so PM me if you're interested. I can grab a pic or two of it as well. Pretty sure it doesn't have the mounting tape, but you can get that (3M makes it). You'll need some acetone to clean the surface, prior to mounting.

The mounting tabs where the bolts screw into are intact (but save your screws / bolts from the old one). IIRC, I even have a copy of the install directions saved on my HDD that I can fwd to you. You need to raise the rear hatch glass to install (but leave the liftgate in place.).

It won't be free (and it's not 'new'), but it'll be cheap, depending on how far out of my way I'll be driving to meet you...lol.

If you're asking because you like the look of the EXT version better and want to switch - I think you could do it - the mounting points are pretty much the same, IIRC. I don't think it would blend well, personally (the XL spoiler would look ok on an EXT, IMO, but not the other way around). But what I like, aesthetically, isn't important. It's your truck :wink:

Reactions: Mounce and Blckshdw

Magnumu

Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
Michigan
Thank you for the offer Reprise. I'll provide the whole story: My College student daughter's car, It is black. A while ago I replaced just the spoiler, It wasn't a perfect fit and I believe I may have gotten one from a non xl. About 2 weeks ago the adhesive that holds the glass to the hinge failed. I tried to use JB Weld to reattach and this did not work. Last weekend, I went to the local scrap yard and found a very nice window with attached spoiler ($29) removed from car and brought it home. I destroyed original mounting braces when I took off the old one. I went to put the replacement on and found out there is a size difference between xl and standard envoys. I now have a window, with mounted spoiler/light for a std and was hoping to take it back to exchange for an xl. The yard does not have any XL's in stock currently. They do have a few TB ext though. I was hoping that the whole unit (window and spoiler) would mount on the Envoy and not look completely out of place.

Once again thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction!

Another thought I just had. Is the spoiler the same size and mounting points for the xl and non xl models? I could take the "good" spoiler off the non xl window and mount it on a tb ext window?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
A quick search on car-part.com DOES indicate that the rear glass (and thus, spoiler) is interchangable, as a whole host of EXT vehicles popped up on my search for 2003 (really, 2003-2006 would all fit, for the LWB models).

If you found a window w/ spoiler for $29 - grab it. Ask if they have two :wink: (you could sell the other and make your money back for both, easily).

Just check the defroster grid to see if there are any breaks (you can feel along the inside edge and determine this. Breaks in the horizontal sections can be repaired w/o too much trouble. Breaks on the vertical ends are a little more difficult (there are posts here describing how to fix broken gridlines)

When you go to swap them out, a helper would be good to have, along with a small drift / pin punch, and a flat-blade screwdriver to loosen the strut mount retainers. Lift the glass, but leave the main gate in place. Loosen the retainers for the struts, but leave the struts attached until you're ready to swap the glass.

The pins up top are both are removed from the same direction (and they're held in with e-clips - which aren't too critical - I have one on one side that's been missing for a year now, and don't even think about it any longer as something I have to remember to replace (until I wrote this, just now...lol.) But it'd be good to have the retaining clips in on both sides, especially since you're not going to be the main user of the truck. I also don't lift 'just' my glass, either - only the full liftgate - which helps keep mine in place.

On mine, one pin came out pretty easily; the other took some effort. Once the pins are out, you need your helper to swap the glass out - that's when you detach the strut mounts from the glass, hold the window upward, and slide the glass off the top mounts.

The pins will go back in easier than they came out, if you encounter resistance removing them.

Oh, and to answer your question about LWB & SWB spoilers just now - they are NOT interchangeable - not the spoilers, nor the hardware. I forget about the brake lamp (CHMSL), but I think those are wheelbase-specific, too.

Magnumu

Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
Michigan
Thanks again Reprise, I didn't have any problem taking the one off at the scrap yard. Mine at home had one of the pins stuck in the bushing and I had to cut the pin, remove the bushing, and drill it out. Fortunately I had saved pins from pulled unit. I'm back to wondering if the TB ext window with spoiler will mount, it looks a little wider, like it may go over vertical trim pieces and envoy is inside of vertical trim. I will have to check when daughter gets home to see if window is flush with vertical trim and so the extra width would not matter.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Looking at pics of both, you're right - the vertical (D-pillar) trim is different on both. So you'll need the same-vehicle D-pillar trim to make it work.

Structurally (behind the trim), they *should* be the same. But there's one thing that *could* throw you off. Look at the rear side windows of both. The EXT window is flush to the body edges / trim (bigger). The XL has smaller inset windows. If you need someone to do a closer look at one or the other, let us know. Also, check out the GM online parts catalogs (many sources) in exploded diagram view.

Magnumu

Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
Michigan
Thanks again Reprise. I think I will travel a little farther to a second u pull location on Saturday. According to their website they have multiple Envoy Xl in inventory.

mparker

Sep 24, 2018
Royse City, TX
I am having the same experience. Really difficult locating an ENVOY XL in the parts yards in TX DFW area. And everyone seems to pull those back glass and trim from every one I have found. Purchased the glass and upper plastic trim/spoiler from a Trailblazer EXT and the trim/spoiler extends past the side pillar plastics. Don't really care about the look but it extends far enough to catch the wind which will likely end up ripping it off at 70mph eventually. Now I still need to locate the proper rear glass from an Envoy XL, technically just the upper plastic piece. The search continues!
@Reprise do you still have that upper plastic spoiler piece?
OH, and was is confirmed that the TB EXT Back Glass is interchangeable with the Envoy XL? I haven't attempted to install the one I got on Saturday yet.

Last edited:

yonkster4g4

Aug 3, 2015
I have a envoy xl spoiler/ third brake light holder and rear glass on the trailblazer Ext. They do interchange but doesn’t cover everything as you can see.

Attachments

• A5B8B912-65D7-4729-B8AE-151892078B60.jpeg
    A5B8B912-65D7-4729-B8AE-151892078B60.jpeg
    342.4 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: Blckshdw

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online