Envoy xuv tailgate power issue

Blueeyes0627

Original poster
Apr 7, 2021
Georgia
I have a 2004 envoy xuv we bought a few days ago and we replaced the tailgate window regulator thinking that is why the window wouldn’t go down but nothing is working back at the lift gate. The switches, the button for the window or anything back there nothing. It is like there is no power to it. Where or what could be the cause? We checked the fuses. The roof motor isn’t hooked up right now either. Hope that isn’t a reason why.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Have a look at this FAQ in the XUV section. A few threads regarding the tailgate:

And there's also a series of videos that talks a lot about problems with the tailgate and roof:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I can help some, I am not the Guru on the XUV, but I do know more than I want to.

Cant at the moment, at work.

I can tell you this, for any part of the XUV Tailgate, or roof, to work, the entire system has to be in working order. You can get the tailgate window to work without the system working, via a Tech2/Autel only.

Reactions: Mooseman

Blueeyes0627

Original poster
Apr 7, 2021
Georgia
I can help some, I am not the Guru on the XUV, but I do know more than I want to.

I can tell you this, for any part of the XUV Tailgate, or roof, to work, the entire system has to be in working order. You can get the tailgate window to work without the system working, via a Tech2/Autel only.
When you get off work can you please help me more with it other than that. I want all of it to work not just the tailgate window

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Just pose your questions, and I will answer as time permits.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Start on the interior of the truck, using the overhead console switches, try closing the roof (if open), or open (if closed). Do you get any messages on the dash? Do the same with the window.

Reactions: EnvoyXUV

Blueeyes0627

Original poster
Apr 7, 2021
Georgia
We have to put the motor back on for the roof. The people bought it from took it off cause of the tailgate regulator needed replacing. It does give an error message on dash about the roof being opened. But that’s it though. The window don’t give any error cause there is no power it seems. It is because the roof isn’t Closed that the rest of it won’t work?

Blueeyes0627

Original poster
Apr 7, 2021
Georgia
We have to put the motor back on for the roof. The people bought it from took it off cause of the tailgate regulator needed replacing. It does give an error message on dash about the roof being opened. But that’s it though. The window don’t give any error cause there is no power it seems. It is because the roof isn’t Closed that the rest of it won’t work?
The switch for the window won’t work at all though. It don’t even make a noise. But we got to put the roof motor back on for us to be able to close it though.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The window will not work until the roof is closed, and confirmed close by the TGCM.

Jan 19, 2021
us
when you open the lift gate, look up top you will see a short rubberized band that goes from the gate itself to body of the truck

inside of that rubber are a bunch of wires for everything that needs power to the gate

i had the same problem you are having when i first got my tb and i pulled those wires out and my lift gate severed some of them from years of opening and closing the gate

i reattached all the wires and everything has been golden since

hopefully this helps you

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@ThatOneWhiteTruck - Not saying your wrong, but this is a XUV, and doesnt have a liftgate.

The wires for the XUV run from the very bottom left corner, to the endgate thru a rubber tube. They typically dont have the problems of the normal GMT360. Completely different animal... at least in the butt.

Blueeyes0627

Original poster
Apr 7, 2021
Georgia
We put the motor back and it still didn’t work. What else could it be that is causing it not to work? Would the rear body control module be the reason?

Blueeyes0627

Original poster
Apr 7, 2021
Georgia

What is a tech2/Autel?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Take the cover off the inside of the rear tailgate, I think its 6 T25 screws. Under the cover is a TGCM (Tail Gate Control Module). Ensure its plugged in all all terminals.

Blueeyes0627

Original poster
Apr 7, 2021
Georgia
Take the cover off the inside of the rear tailgate, I think its 6 T25 screws. Under the cover is a TGCM (Tail Gate Control Module). Ensure its plugged in all all terminals.
It is plugged in all terminals. I think it might be the tailgate control module itself. Could that be the reason?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The Tech 2 is a scan tool used by dealers that has all functions. An Autel, some of them at least, can do almost all of the higher level functions that the Tech 2 can do. The Tech 2 has been cloned in China for years but functions the same as the real one.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
check some of the electrical conditions at the connector... voltages and grounds along with simple resistance measurements of the various pins to see if anything obvious indicates a physical electrical issue before heading towards "the tgcm is faulty".

Blueeyes0627

Original poster
Apr 7, 2021
Georgia
check some of the electrical conditions at the connector... voltages and grounds along with simple resistance measurements of the various pins to see if anything obvious indicates a physical electrical issue before heading towards "the tgcm is faulty".
We have checked the voltage in the plug that go in the tgcm and they aren’t getting what they are supposed to. There is a variation of voltage going to each spot in them. So I’m wondering if the plugs are needing to be replaced

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Since the tailgate wont open, you will have to figure out how to drop the tailgate manually for the next test. Both top latches need to be tripped to open it, -NOT- the bottom drivers side.

Once you get it dropped, the body to tailgate wiring loom can be seen in the lower right corner. Using a pick, pry it out, and unplug it, and check for corrosion, and other nasties.

About the Autel and Tech2, theres a video series I recently posted...

..where a owner of a XUV uses a Autel to control some features of the tailgate. The Autel also shows a map of various modules thruout the truck, and if they are communicating.

The Autel units are not cheap.. Anywhere from 1000-4000. Very expensive to be honest. I am still debating if I want to get a Autel or a Tech2 myself. Tech2 is a lot cheaper, from 100 (computer clone version), to 2500 (actual handheld unit with laptop).

One of the big recent problems with the Tech2 actual handheld is they are coming from China, as they are fakes (but still functional) and a few have gotten confiscated coming into America.

Last edited:

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
We have checked the voltage in the plug that go in the tgcm and they aren’t getting what they are supposed to. There is a variation of voltage going to each spot in them. So I’m wondering if the plugs are needing to be replaced
??? what does this mean? what pins did you check and how (what were you using for your ground reference?). There are two power inputs to the end gate module.

Blueeyes0627

Original poster
Apr 7, 2021
Georgia
??? what does this mean? what pins did you check and how (what were you using for your ground reference?). There are two power inputs to the end gate module.
We unplugged both power inputs and he was using a test light at first then he checked with a multimeter to see how much voltage was getting to the holes in the plugs

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
ok... but then did you go and check the corresponding fuse positions? It is somewhat strange as those are B+ fed.

Blueeyes0627

Original poster
Apr 7, 2021
Georgia
ok... but then did you go and check the corresponding fuse positions? It is somewhat strange as those are B+ fed.
I don’t think we checked the fuse position with it but we still got to see if it is wires or the computers for the roof and lift gate

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
When you press the buttons on the overhead console, do you get any type of message on your speedometer cluster. If it doesnt work, you should get a message about something. If no message, its not communicating with something.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Be sure to also check Fuse 3, 5, 6, 7, 16, 31, 32, 50, and 52 in the rear, under seat, fuse panel

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
but if there is a powering issue, lots of things won't do anything so you need to ensure that you have the basic electrical conditions for devices to operate.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
Okay I’ll check those fuses but when you press the button it don’t say anything. It does have open or close the roof error message constantly on and off there
does the roof move and / or do you hear anything from its motor? Based on video, the roof should move independent of the back gate at it is "first in the order". The system gets its postioning based on the roof motoring (my read of things). So if you are not seeing things happen there, then that's the start of your issues. As others mentioned, the whole system has to function to get the "tail end" pieces to "comply" UNLESS you have Tech2 which can manually command things. Having said that, even a tech2 can not make electricals function without proper powering conditions which are always the first checks.

Edit... I see upon further reading that the end gate window must be fully down before the roof operation can occur. That means that IF you do not have a functioning end gate module, then this is unlikely to happen (roof movement). So you need to ensure that the end gate module is electrically happy before going any further.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you have an advanced scanner that can read body codes or an ELM327 with Car Gauge Pro (Android), the BCM should report if there is no communication from any of the modules.

Reactions: EnvoyXUV

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online