Envoy XL Custom 3rd row seat speaker set up

NavyDave219

Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
NW Indiana
Hello all I have a question. I have a 2004 Envoy XL and I'm looking to add a set of 6.5 speakers behind the 3rd row seat (so the kids back there will stop saying "turn it up I can't hear it") somewhere possible on the lifegate or pillars preferably and wanted to know if anybody has done this and if so would you have any pictures and or advice on what speaker pods etc etc worked best. If this has been covered already I apologize as I haven't found a thread for it.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I would imagine that the liftgate would be your best bet, as there is not really anything in the tailgate that would get in the way, backspacing, etc. It would just be a matter of fishing those speaker wires thru the loom at the top of the liftgate, and running them off the amp in the rear quarter area. The only issue is, that you could easily run them from the rear speaker outputs, but the rear speaker outputs barely put out any sound (in my opinion), and you dont want to run them off the front speaker outputs as the OHM drop to the front speakers would be damaging to them.

So your only way of getting good sound out of them is to run an amp or something.

Reactions: NavyDave219

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Someone did this many years ago, in the D pillars. I couldn't track down the thread on Trailvoy where I saw it, and it doesn't appear Google has the images either.

In a nutshell, he took a PVC pipe to use as speaker mounts, and cut it into 2 pieces. Can't remember if they were 5.25" or 6.5" speakers that were used. :undecided: Trimmed one end of each PVC tube to roughly the shape of the D pillar trim, at the positions he wanted them mounted. He used some L shaped mounting brackets that distributed the weight of the speaker along the backside of the pillar trim panel. Vertical parts attached to the inside of the trim panel, horizontal parts supported the inside of the PVC tube. Can't remember how he covered up the joints though. (bondo and paint, vinyl wrap, fiberglass, etc)

It looked pretty cool, and it was something I wanted to do in my EXT back then, but I never have people back there so... :rolleyes:

Reactions: NavyDave219

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
:deadhorse::puke:Eww.. that site.. How dare you LOL!

NavyDave219

Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
NW Indiana
I would imagine that the liftgate would be your best bet, as there is not really anything in the tailgate that would get in the way, backspacing, etc. It would just be a matter of fishing those speaker wires thru the loom at the top of the liftgate, and running them off the amp in the rear quarter area. The only issue is, that you could easily run them from the rear speaker outputs, but the rear speaker outputs barely put out any sound (in my opinion), and you dont want to run them off the front speaker outputs as the OHM drop to the front speakers would be damaging to them.

So your only way of getting good sound out of them is to run an amp or something.
Yeah I plan on using an amp.

Was bored at work, so kept digging and finally found the old thread. I mis-remembered some of the details, but was close enough :tongue:

Cool that's interesting, I plan on buying some speaker pods and either mounting them there or on the lifegate. Just got to get the measurements down and figure put which is best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
:deadhorse::puke:Eww.. that site.. How dare you LOL!

That's OK. We still use it as an archive repository for long lost info. We can't copy it but we can use it, like they used us as money making cows with their endless spewing of ads until the cows revolted. We're actually starting to get on top of search results now.

• Love
Reactions: xavierny25

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online