Envoy sway bar links

bpdebroy88

Original poster
Feb 8, 2014
So I just had a friend of mine replace the rear sway bar links on my envoy. It was clunking so bad for a couple months and we finally got around to doing them. It was such a relief when i got the car back! BUT...it was perfect for about 2 days. Now i hear a loud rattle coming from the back end again. I thought for sure it was the fronts rattling because we were going to do those soon but nope, it is definitely the back rattling. I dont know if they came loose or already broke or its something else or what. Gonna have him look at it but he is super busy. any suggestions on what is could be in the meantime???

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It's almost always the nuts working loose. You need to use loctite AND honk down on them with lots of torque. If the previous ones were clunking from nut looseness and not the joints, the stud could have elongated the hole and that contributes to future noise unless you shimmed the new stud in the hole.

Rogue92

Apr 19, 2014
Had the same issue with mine...after seeing Roadie's post above it makes since now. I changed mine back in May and it was good for a few days and then it started again. I took the back a part again due to another issue with it scraping the trailing arm and the clunking has stopped since reassembling it. I'm going to have to get in there with some Loctite the next time I'm working on it so the annoyance goes away.

bpdebroy88

Original poster
Feb 8, 2014
thanks for the quick replies guys. good to know this is not completely uncommon. Will definitely get in there with some loctite this week. WIll it make it worse the longer I wait to get in there?

Reactions: smt 59

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online