Envoy Single Brake Light Failure

jcking

Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
I have a 2006 Envoy Denali V8. The left rear brake light stopped working. All other lights including tail, back-up, turn signal, hazard all work. It is not the bulb. I have already checked it -- even swapped with the right side brake light. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot? Thanks for your help.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Well, there is only one way to trouble shoot at this point, you need a dc volt meter.

Both the left and the right brake lights are fused from the same fuse, if the right is working, the fuse is fine.

The wire for the brake signal on the left (driver's) side is light blue, the right side wire is also light blue.

Check, with the volt meter, to see if there is 12 volts on the left wire when the pedal is pushed.

No voltage, the problem is probably a broken wire,

If you have voltage, the problem is in the left side circuit board (perhaps a contact in the brake light socket), usually a replacement circuit board is the way to fix it (the board for the right side is the same, a swap can tell you if the problem is the board).

jcking

Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
OK. The problem is apparently with the circuit board. I swapped tail lights and the other side stopped working. So I will need to get a new circuit board. Thanks for the help.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online