Envoy rear bumper rear/replace

MoMobile

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
We backed into a light poll at the grocery store. The insurance company will fix it but raise the rate at $96 a month, so I'll fix it myself. It doesn't look like the rebar is hurt, just the plastic cover.

I'd like some instruction on how to remove the bumper and/or cover please.

Attachments

• 16JUN13 001.jpg
    16JUN13 001.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 16JUN13 002.jpg
    16JUN13 002.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 41
  • T2C16FHJGYE9RBRZME.jpg
    T2C16FHJGYE9RBRZME.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 68

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
MoMobile said:
We backed into a light poll at the grocery store. The insurance company will fix it but raise the rate at $96 a month, so I'll fix it myself. It doesn't look like the rebar is hurt, just the plastic cover.

I'd like some instruction on how to remove the bumper and/or cover please.

Are you anywhere near Ca? If so, I am replacing my bumper cover with a Denali one and I'll give you mine for next to nothing. It's in good shape other than some minor scuffs.

As far as replacing yourself, can't help you there. I've tried my hand at some DIY bodywork and it wasn't pretty.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Off the top of my head, you have the screws along the top of the bumper cover, just below the lift gate. There's a screw on either side, in the wheel well near the top of the bumper #2 in the pic, and then underneath there are 4 plastic clips that have to be popped loose, #3 in the pic.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
This is literally a ten minute job to remove. 20 if you're not sure what to do. The diagram makes it look more complicated than it really is. Take a few minutes and lay under the back with the diagram and identify the bolts and plastic retainers.

MoMobile

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Pittdawg said:
Are you anywhere near Ca? If so, I am replacing my bumper cover with a Denali one and I'll give you mine for next to nothing.

Unfortunately, no, I'm 3 hours east of Houston, Texas. I see reman. for $195 and used OEM for $125 on eBay (that's with shipping). I plan to buy a used OEM for the quality and have it painted locally then bolt the cover on myself.

MoMobile

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Thanks for the info., I looked at the bumper and am going to change it myself but will have to have it painted. We have to fix some mechanical issues first and the pretty stuff in a few months.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
silvertb4x4 said:
anyone know where to find a painted oem rear bumper cover?

Ebay or Junkyard (LKQ is a good place). You can also post a want ad in the classified section of the forums.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Yeah, salvage yard. I backed into an ATM one night (don't ask, and NO, no money came out) and I had to replace the bumper cover and reinforcement. Just a few screws when you have the rear gate ajar and two on each wheel well. And fog lights have to be removed if the one you purchase doesn't come with a set.

My truck is sandal wood but my bumper is all black. It actual complements well with my black rusty brush guard.

Try to match your color from the salvage yard or ebay because body shops will really over charge you to paint over.

I still have a driver side fender in the garage sitting around for 5 years because everyone wants $200 to paint... The fender cost only $20. One shop wanted to paint my whole side "to keep the appreciation value of the vehicle."

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
$300 seems alright, not the best price (not to burst your bubble). For $300 I got the bumper reinforcement along with the cover. Then again, it was driving distance for me to pick up. As for painting, I suggest to buy the paint yourself.

I'm not good with estimates but I think a quart of paint will do. In this case all the body shop can do is charge you for labor and clear coat. The website I am going to buy my paint from is Touch Up Paint and Accessories | AutomotiveTouchupwhich was mentioned here on GMT a few times plus free shipping.

And a side note, go looking online especially on craigslist. There are plenty of local guys painting cars in their backyard. As long as they have the right equipment, they can do just as well of a job as a body shop.

James taylor

Dec 12, 2018
Anniston al.
Off the top of my head, you have the screws along the top of the bumper cover, just below the lift gate. There's a screw on either side, in the wheel well near the top of the bumper #2 in the pic, and then underneath there are 4 plastic clips that have to be popped loose, #3 in the pic.
Is there a trick to popping the plastic clips out?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Is there a trick to popping the plastic clips out?

Yeah, there's a locking center pin, that needs to be pried loose first to release the legs of the clip. Then the whole clip comes out. You should see a slot to wedge in a flathead screwdriver or some similar tool on the side of the center pin.

Reactions: JerryIrons

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
You can get new clips right from Napa or another store, just bring the old ones down that you break so you can match the size, there are a ridiculous variety of sizes and shapes to choose from. I've even gone to the gm parts website and obtained part numbers.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online