Envoy Radio replacement secured?

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
My daughter smashed the face off her radio, it still works fine you just cant see anything as it doesnt light up anymore.
I was thinking of just getting a radio off EBAY she has the 6 DISC version in her 02 Envoy SLT, do these radios have security that will cost me money at GM to get it unlocked?
thanks

May be easier for me to fix why it doesnt light up anymore, any thoughts on that? I am high level skilled at repairing electronics but pointing to possible causes never hurts. may be a fuse, I havent really looked into it yet.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
The VIN has to be reprogrammed into the new radio in order for it to work.

You may be lucky and just have to get new bulbs for the radio and install them. You can get them from Radio Shack very readily, but I can't remember the part #....I know it's here on the site somewhere, probably in one of the bigger LED threads.

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks.
I see for a 2002 GM Radio it is a Theft lock system that works on a 3+3 code response for a 3 code reply from GM to unlock it, assuming the original owner set a theft code.
Now I have to research how hard it is to get the Radio out, most likely simple :wink:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
There is no code to set for anti theft. It's all VIN programmed, so it won't work unless you get it programmed at the dealer or someone else with a Tech II...that's if it's a new radio.

To get the radio out...http://gmtnation.com/f35/how-remove-radio-3866/

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Matt said:

Oh BTW.... how do I know if a radio is the newer VIN type? I know hers is the 6 disc one with digital readout of who is singing the songs on the radio and album.
I like to talk about what I plan on doing before doing it... yeah its called delaying tactics

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
bspurloc said:
Oh BTW.... how do I know if a radio is the newer VIN type? I know hers is the 6 disc one with digital readout of who is singing the songs on the radio and album.
I like to talk about what I plan on doing before doing it... yeah its called delaying tactics

The radios that are unlockable with a code look very different and I belive they say "theft lock" on them

Old/theft lock
gmrepair006.jpg

New/Vin lock
6discindash.jpg

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I would look for a parts radio on Ebay and just swap the display.You should be able to get a non-working unit pretty cheap.I don't have experience with your radio but,the few that I have worked on,the fronts were easily removed...Mike.

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Me007gold said:
The radios that are unlockable with a code look very different and I belive they say "theft lock" on them

Old/theft lock
gmrepair006.jpg

New/Vin lock
6discindash.jpg

cool thanks

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
northcreek said:
I would look for a parts radio on Ebay and just swap the display.You should be able to get a non-working unit pretty cheap.I don't have experience with your radio but,the few that I have worked on,the fronts were easily removed...Mike.

Yeah I was thinking along those lines too....
there was just one up with the front worn badly for $85.
Only problem is if I buy something broken I always take the time to try and fix it and usually are successful haha...
Most things are bad solder or bad capacitors :wink:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramzo358

Members Online