Envoy Quad Brake/Non-CK Bulb Mod

TerryG

Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Illinois
I just completed this mod and it all seems to work fine, so I figured I would share it here. Sorry if it's common knowledge.

I recently found that Dorman 923-011 has wires inside, instead of the rigid metal pieces, which made doing the quad brake light mod quite a bit easier for me. After some more thinking, I realized that it wouldn't be hard to convert them to use non-CK bulbs as well, meaning that any standard LED should work fine. That being said, attempt at your own risk.

First, Pull it apart and cut at the red line. Then pry the connectors marked with green and blue dots out of the sockets and remove the wires from the channels.

1.jpg

Next, notch out the spots marked in red. This part could probably be skipped, in all honesty.

2.jpg

Then run the black wire, which was previously on the left, down the right side and press the connectors into place.

3.jpg

Next, cut the brown wire close to the body side connector, leaving enough wire to solder to, and insert the connectors for that wire into the sockets on the left side.

4.jpg

Add a jumper to lengthen the wire that was previously cut.\

5.jpg

Finally, solder wires across the bottom terminals of the lower sockets, marked with a black line, to connect the grounds and allow for quad brake lights. Note, even if you don't want quad brake lights you MUST connect the bottom terminals of the bottom socket.

6.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Nice work! It's not exactly common knowledge, but it has been done before by some members who aren't on the forum anymore. I've got a set of those boards in a box from a stalled tail light mod myself :bonk:

Reactions: Matt and TerryG

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Added to the Tech FAQ.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online