envoy power steering flush

kickass audio

Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
Hi all! It's been awhile since I posted a new topic. I wanted to see if anyone could help provide some insight on flushing the power steering fluid on the trailvoy. Mine is a bit dirty but doesn't have any whine on the pump but as a good measure I want to drain the fluid and flush it totally out with new. I was thinking to do a makeshift of may03's video with flushing the transmission fluid out where he pulled the transmission line that feeds fluid into the radiator to dump it into a bucket and keep pouring fresh fluid into the transmission until it comes out the same color as going in.

I was thinking to remove the rubber hose that is the hose returning to the power steering pump and is coming off the power steering cooler to have that drain out into a container while having the engine running and then keep pouring in PS fluid to the reservoir until it comes out nice and clean on the other end. Does anyone see any problems with doing this? I figured that since I am simply opening up the low pressure/return side of the PS system that it would not have adverse affects on my steering for having air into the system. I do have a vacuum pump and can buy an attachment to insert into the top of the PS pump reservoir to suck out any air into the system if it is necessary. I just want to ask before I run the risk of having a big mess on my hands or worse make the system get air into it and wreck my rack and pump.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I did this awhile ago, however it may have been on the OS. I found it much easier and almost necessary, to remove the washer fluid tank, just be careful of the hoses.....disconnect the wire harness from the motors and rest it on top of the coolant reservoir.
With that out of the way, I used a 1/2" diameter hole under the washer fluid tank, can't remember if I drilled it or it was there already....to get the hose under the car. I'm not sure what size the ID of the low pressure hose is, maybe 5/16, but I took a 2-sided brass hose barb and ran a hose down to a 1 gal bucket or jug from the low pressure hose. I also took a foot long section or hose, or a little longer with a 1/2" bolt in the end to cap it off, this goes on the port on the PS pump for the low pressure hose so you don't drain the reservoir.... I left this hose in the air, higher than the reservoir. but capped off with the bolt.

Drain the reservoir if poss first with a baster before you remove the low pressure hose, then make all your connections.

Raising the front wheels off the ground makes for a faster lock to lock turn of the steering wheel.

Fill the PS reservoir up a little more than full, and when you start the engine it will begin pouring out immediately and at a fast rate. Have someone hold the hose in the container or it may make a huge mess. As soon as the motor starts, turn the wheel quickly back and forth to the stops as it will drain the reservoir in about 5 seconds.

I repeated this about 4 or 5 times and cycling the rack back and forth will get most of the fluid out. If you don't turn the wheel the pump will just drain the reservoir of fresh fluid you just added.

kickass audio

Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
I didn't ask for a quote on doing it as I always do my own work unless its something really big or with a set of tool's I don't currently own. I just like screwing around with things on my own. It's a good and bad thing to have lol.

That sounds like a good idea. I was just thinking to be easy and hookup after the PS cooler and drain it out there then flush it out.

Anyone know if I can just spin the thing fast enough by hand or maybe disconnect the fuel pump relay and crank the engine for a little bit and get it to drain out?

Reactions: 07TrailyLS

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
You need to get the old fluid out of the rack. I believe the fluid is in bypass unless the steering wheel is turning but not 100% on that.

I used a smaller hose and siphoned the reservoir first.

May be easier to connect at the cooler, I didn't try...not sure of the connection type or if it's a risk with age on them.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Last time I flushed it, I didn't even start the engine. Suck all the fluid with a turkey baster, pull the return hose at the reservoir and put the end into an empty jug using a connector and longer hose, plug the reservoir return nipple, fill with fluid. Jack the front of the truck to have the wheels off the ground, turn the steering wheel a couple of times. Refill and repeat until the fluid coming out is clear. The rack and pinion will pump the fluid out.

An easier way is to leave everything connected, suck out the fluid, fill, turn the steering wheel, repeat until clear. May use more fluid this way.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online