Envoy Liftgate wont unlock

seadeeare

Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Hello All
i have a 2004 Envoy that has an intermitten problem with the giftgate and glass when i have the vehicle loaded. when under load (5 50lb bags o concrete, mulch or dirt, lumber, or stone and pavers) not all at the same time, neither the liftgate nor the window glass will unlatch or unlock. dosent matter if i use the buttons in the truck or either one of the key fobs. once i am able to get the load out or off (as with lumber on the roof) the rear will unlatch and unlock. this has happened the last 3 times i have load the truck. all other time the rear liftgate and window work graet, no issues. also none of the load presses against the rear gate when closed.
any ideas
thanks
cdr

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Does your rear wiper work?

Reason I ask is that a lot of liftgate problems are caused by flexed and fraying wires inside a rubber boot up near the hinge area. Including a data comm wire used to control the wiper motor and the locking solenoids. Cuold also be power or ground going through the rubber boot, or the ground wire where it bolts to the body at the side (left, I think) of the liftgate opening.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I had some liftgate issues that our members helped me solve. See my thread called "liftgate issues" sorry I don't know how to copy a link here.

steven76

Mar 24, 2012
seadeeare said:
Hello All
i have a 2004 Envoy that has an intermitten problem ... thanks
cdr

Hey, welcome over here to GMTNation. I saw your posts go unanswered somewhere else.

If your problem is in fact the wiring inside the rubber boot, don't just pull it off, glance at it, and put it back thinking it looks OK.

My liftgate wasn't working for several months. I thought the wiring was fine because the damaged part is deep in the center tunnel of the rubber boot, and I couldn't see the frayed wires from my initial basic inspection.

You will need to pull back the rubber as far as you can to expose as much of the wire as you can, and you will probably break a few of the surrounding wires in the process, so be as gentle as you can with it all.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
steven76 said:
Hey, welcome over here to GMTNation. I saw your posts go unanswered somewhere else.

If your problem is in fact the wiring inside the rubber boot, don't just pull it off, glance at it, and put it back thinking it looks OK.

My liftgate wasn't working for several months. I thought the wiring was fine because the damaged part is deep in the center tunnel of the rubber boot, and I couldn't see the frayed wires from my initial basic inspection.

You will need to pull back the rubber as far as you can to expose as much of the wire as you can, and you will probably break a few of the surrounding wires in the process, so be as gentle as you can with it all.

I agree, I looked at mine and it looked fine then when I went back at more thoroughly I found the broken wire, they are tight in the boot but you pull it one way and then the other. I found vasaline helped to get wire back through the boot. Let us know what you find

jhmeg2

Jul 1, 2012
had a similar issue, but it was the rear hatch bcm. It was subjected to a bit of pressure and vibration from a some what large stereo install. So far I'm lucky not to have had a broken wire issue.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.