Envoy liftgate on Trailblazer ***SOLVED***

FREAKINCAGE

Original poster
Apr 25, 2019
Mabitoba, Canada
Hello gurus,

I've searched the interweb for days and I can't find an answer for this.

I have a 2003 Trailblazer with the common rusted out liftgate. The boneyards here don't have many Trailblazers, but do have many Envoys. Hollander says that only 2002 & 2003 Trailblazer gates are interchangeable. Having said that, Hollander will only list parts that are exactly the same, with the exception of trim.

Are there any years of Envoy liftgates that will physically bolt up and function correctly?

Thanks in advance.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I want to say the lift gates are the same assuming same wheelbase (the XL/EXT have taller liftgates than the regular variants). But I do not know for certain.

Reactions: mrrsm

FREAKINCAGE

Original poster
Apr 25, 2019
Mabitoba, Canada
I want to say the lift gates are the same assuming same wheelbase (the XL/EXT have taller liftgates than the regular variants). But I do not know for certain.

Looking at them, they look like they should fit. Both are 113" wheel base (door makes up part of the wheel well). I might just have to take a chance and do it.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I think the plastic trim pieces at the top, around the 3rd brake light may be different. But you should be able to swap your old one over, and be good to go.

Reactions: mrrsm

FREAKINCAGE

Original poster
Apr 25, 2019
Mabitoba, Canada
It physically fits. The donor was a 2003 Envoy going on to a 2003 Trailblazer. The 3rd brake light trim from the Envoy works. I don't know if the Trailblazer one will work or not and I'm not going to find out because I'm painting the truck black and the Envoy trim is already black.

The area that isn't quite right are the vertical trim pieces each side of the glass. The design gap between the body and the trim is significantly larger than the TB trim. See the pics.

So for anyone who's been searching like I was with no absolute answer, yes the Envoy tailgates will fit.

IMG_5446.jpgIMG_5447.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Nice. Bet you could swap those trim pieces .

FREAKINCAGE

Original poster
Apr 25, 2019
Mabitoba, Canada
I'm going to try. I just have to figure out how to get them off. I really haven't looked that hard. It was late last night by the time I got the gate swapped. It's pretty hard to do alone.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
When you have the liftgate glass open, I think there's a couple of screws. I looked at that a while back when talking to someone about mods, and potentially color matching them.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Very Nice Save... And If you decide to do a Step-By-Step on this one and want to finish with the 'aesthetics' with a fairly well matched Spray Paint Job... Here is where to get the GM factory Colored Cans of the Spray Paint.

With the required solvent removal of the Old Clear Coat and a light sanding to rough up the surface for good adhesion... after blocking things off well with some Brown Butcher's Paper and a 2" Roll of Blue Painter's Tape, you'd be in business. The Gold Color here looks like it would be a very close match to the body color of your SUV.

This is where to find the stuff... and others like it as well that might be a better match. Just know that there are only (3) cans available from this particular eBay Vendor as of this posting on April 26, 2019 @ 1:42 PM ...for around $8.00 per can.:

GMOEMGOLDSPRAYPAINT.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Perhaps... But HE is NOT the only Member or Visitor who will read his Thread looking for a similar solution. And after they take some encouragement from his recent success in this repair, others may like knowing about this GM OEM Spray Paint option as an alternative course of action to "blend" things all together... without having to resort to getting a Complete Paint Job.

Reactions: BrianF

FREAKINCAGE

Original poster
Apr 25, 2019
Mabitoba, Canada
When you have the liftgate glass open, I think there's a couple of screws. I looked at that a while back when talking to someone about mods, and potentially color matching them.

It looks like the screws are part of the rubber stopper do dads that the glass rests against. I'll take a better look tonight.

Do not think he really needs info on matched paint.

I am painting it black. This truck has cancer really bad. I also picked up 4 doors, a hood and front bumper cover. I'm just going to do a 10 foot paint job with Tremclad gloss black. I know I will probably catch verbal hell from some of you, but this vehicle isn't worth the money for real body work and paint.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

FREAKINCAGE

Original poster
Apr 25, 2019
Mabitoba, Canada
As long as you're happy with the end result, damn what anybody else thinks. We're not the ones driving it, or paying for the work that goes into it. :thumbsup:

That's my feeling too. I bought this cheap as a disposable vehicle 4 years ago. I only intended to drive it for a couple years but it keeps going. So I decided to throw some white box ball joints, tie rods, upper control arms, tires and the junk yard body panels at it. With all that and the paint, I'm into it for just over a grand. Way cheaper than a car payment.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Dude to help slow (and cover) the cancer on my old 02 I used Herculiner lol. Same reason, it ran great but the body was going. Eventually the frame was going too so that became the end of it but at least I didn't drive with holes and visible rot. And the liner gave it, well, we will call it character :biggrin:

FREAKINCAGE

Original poster
Apr 25, 2019
Mabitoba, Canada
On mine all the doors have substantial holes. The hood is separating at the front seam. The lift gate had a hole in the corner I could fit my fist through. The frame on this one is getting tired too. Mainly behind the front strut buckets. I’m sure I can get another winter or 2 out of it. Surprisingly, there’s almost zero rust on the floors.

A little update on the lift gate. The vertical plastic trim pieces come off by unscrewing the rubber glass stops. There’s a small torx screw in them.

Once the TB vertical trim is installed, the horizontal Envoy plastic trim with the third brake light in it is too short, so the TB one has to be swapped. Bottom line is that the actual gate is interchangeable, but you have to swap over the TB trim.

Last edited:

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Nicely done. The gaps at the side - likely less noticeable once everything is black. Perhaps a small pc of rubber trim could fill the gap; n one would be the wiser.

FREAKINCAGE

Original poster
Apr 25, 2019
Mabitoba, Canada
Nicely done. The gaps at the side - likely less noticeable once everything is black. Perhaps a small pc of rubber trim could fill the gap; n one would be the wiser.

Perhaps, but the gap really bugged me, so I swapped the TB trim over. All the trim has to be swapped over. If you just do the vertical pieces, the Envoy trim with the 3rd brake light is too short by around 4” each side.

After I make the kiddos lunch, I’m going to the shop and will be painting all the door jambs and the insides of the new doors and hood. Once they’re dry, I’ll put the new doors on and prep the entire outside as a whole.

I can take pics as I go along if you guys are interested.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.