Envoy headlight horizontal adjustment mod

kickass audio

Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
Mods: Feel free to move this if this is not the appropriate section but I feel it is as it is a guide on how to add horizontal adjustment to the Envoy's as they only have vertical adjustment from the factory.

Tools you will need:

T27 Torx screw driver tip
Magnetic screw driver (also have the possibility to use the T27 Torx Screw driver tip with a socket and ratchet if you want)
Masking tape or painters tape to mark wall with cutoff line/beam pattern

Parts you will need:

#9 X 1-1/4 screws (you can substitute the length on it with a longer or shorter one as needed but the 1-1/4 should be plenty for anyone, you will need at least 2 of these if you are only adjusting one headlight)
#8 Flat Washers (do not get lock washers, you must get flat washers, if you can, you would be better with #9 washers but my hardware store only had 8 so it will work perfect)
#8 Finish washers (You would be best with #9 finish washers but as my hardware store did not have #9 finish washers, I bought #8 and they work fine)

Estimated time for modification: 30 minutes

​Is installation reversible? Yes, you can at any time undo this modification without any adverse affects on your truck.

Installation/Modification steps:

1.) Pull up to a flat wall as close as possible with the ground as level as possible.
2.) Turn on your low beams, you will notice the beam pattern has a somewhat U-Shape to it where it has a low valley and then curves upward somewhat like a crescent.
3.) Mark the lowest part of the beam pattern where you see the U-Shaped pattern on the wall, this is your center line you will need to use later as your reference point for the horizontal adjustment, Mark the tape in this spot so it is vertical.
4.) Mark the highest point of the cutoff line with masking tape in a horizontal layout on the wall
5.) Do step 3 & 4 for both sides of your truck.
6.) Back your truck up about 25 feet from the wall and make sure the truck is level and even with the wall.
7.) Look at the cutoff pattern, if you see the valley of the cutoff is in line with the tape that you placed on the wall in step 3 then you do not need to perform this mod and can just adjust your vertical adjustment under the hood if needed. If you see the valley of the cutoff is not truly center, perform the next steps
8.) Open your hood and pull up the two release tabs that will make the headlight come loose from the front of the truck. Note: you do not need to disconnect the wire harness from the light. Another note: you will not need to disconnect the corner/turn lights from the light if you are only adjusting the headlight to move outwards, if you are adjusting the light to move inwards, you will need to disconnect the corner/turn lights so you can bring the light forward to get to the mounting tabs
9.) With the headlights now loose from the truck, take the T27 screw driver bit and unscrew the screws that secure the mounting tabs to the headlight
20141130_012315.jpg

20141130_012124.jpg

10.) Once unscrewed, pull the mounting tab bracket off the headlight.
11.) Now the fun part, you need to figure out how many washers are needed to make the headlight align properly. In my case I needed to move my drivers side headlight outward 1/4 of an inch so I added washers to the mounting tab that resides on the inner part of the headlight (closer to the radiator)
12.) Once you have a rough estimate on how many washers you need, you will need to install the screw/washers as follows. Screw going through the finish washer and then going through the mounting tab, followed by the flat washers on the back side. MAKE SURE YOU COUNT THE WASHERS USED so you put the same # of washers on the top and bottom screw! You need the flat washers to go between the headlight body and mounting tabs like this:
20141130_012526.jpg

20141130_012623.jpg

13.) Loosely screw in each screw. I put one screw in 4 turns and then put the screw/washers in on the other screw spot and then secured both screws down all the way
20141130_012623.jpg

20141130_012628.jpg

14.) With the screws now fully installed, take the headlight and position it for re-installation on the truck. Make sure you re-install the corner/turn lights if you disconnected them! What I did was first install the mounting tab for the light that was not modified and then put the side I did modify on the truck afterwards. If this is difficult for you, try it opposite. Install the side you modified first and then the stock side after. You will get it, don't worry or force anything.
15.) Now check your headlights horizontal cutoff spot, if you see that it is dead center you adjusted them perfect, if not then go back and either add/remove washers as needed to bring the light in/out
16.) After getting the horizontal adjustment good, go back and double check the vertical adjustment and adjust as needed.
17.) Close your hood, put the tools away and enjoy properly adjusted headlights.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online