Envoy grenade 80

07_Envoy

Original poster
May 1, 2012
hey guys i got a 2007 gmc envoy. it was stolen over a month ago and now that i have it back the rear end is getting worse and worse. it locks up and chatters really bad when turning to the left. so i pulled the cover last week and did a oil change. the oil came out black and the carrier was a black colour looked like it was a burnt residue that was just wet. so i guess i have a few questions. my first question is if i found a non g80 out of an older envoy say pre 05 would the carrier bolt in or would their be other modifications needed. my next question would be that i can get a differential out of a 2006 trailblazer ext. would this diff be an 8.6? would this rear differential bolt right in? would it change the lenght of my driveshaft and make my shaft longer and possibly bottom out in the t case? and would the u joint from my original drive shaft bolt in to the front of the ext differential housing with out having to be changed?

jham

Nov 20, 2011
07_Envoy said:
hey guys i got a 2007 gmc envoy. it was stolen over a month ago and now that i have it back the rear end is getting worse and worse. it locks up and chatters really bad when turning to the left. so i pulled the cover last week and did a oil change. the oil came out black and the carrier was a black colour looked like it was a burnt residue that was just wet. so i guess i have a few questions. my first question is if i found a non g80 out of an older envoy say pre 05 would the carrier bolt in or would their be other modifications needed. my next question would be that i can get a differential out of a 2006 trailblazer ext. would this diff be an 8.6? would this rear differential bolt right in? would it change the lenght of my driveshaft and make my shaft longer and possibly bottom out in the t case? and would the u joint from my original drive shaft bolt in to the front of the ext differential housing with out having to be changed?

if it's out of a ext it will be a 8.6. as far as I know the only time there is a concern about ujoints and driveshaft length is if you did the 14 bolt swap. As long as you don't change the rear gear ratio from stock there is no need to change the front differential. If you need a G80 and know how to change it I have one

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
07_Envoy said:
it was stolen over a month ago and now that i have it back the rear end is getting worse and worse.

Who steals an Envoy? It obviously wasn't stolen for parts, or you wouldn't be driving it :wink:

sLAsh

Jan 26, 2012
Try checking with your insurance company first if it had been stolen recently. A friend of mine had his tray replaced about two months after it had been stolen. For all you know the thieves were doing neutral drops on it or changing from reverse to drive while still moving quickly. Either of those things can compromise the trany or dif.

07_Envoy

Original poster
May 1, 2012
well this hole thing has been a piss off. like mentioned nobody steals an envoy. but i had my quad and trailer on the back which hasnt been found yet and obviously my stereo is out of the picture to. plus i had my wallet in the truck as well. but on to the next there is rubber up the back of my bumper so i know they were doing burnouts with it. but i can say with the subs in the back it would not spin the tires by brake torquing. i cant say about a neutral drop or roll back since i would never try such in my own vehicle. as for the insurance company they are kind of shit as well. i never had any problems with my air suspension and then i went to the body shop to grab some things out of it and it was sitting on the bump stops. so needless to say every morning i come out my truck is sitting on the bump stops insurance guy comes and says oh its just wear. they all do that after time:hissyfit: but if the rear diff is a dirrect swap i will just go that way as it has the 3.42s as my truck does

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online