Envoy getting some new tires tomorrow.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nice. Looks like a good 4 season tire. Let us know how they turn out.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Do you need an AT tire?

Make sure your alignment is in check. That type of tread pattern has many irregular blocks and can become noisier than say a touring tire if there's slight feathering..

Granted that's the same for many A/T tires like a BFG A/T TA.

A highway tire like a Defender or Hankook Dynapro HP2 have a more constant pattern for quietness but sacrifice off-road traction.

I figure you know this but wanted to mention just in case.

Reactions: Matt

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Do you need an AT tire?

Make sure your alignment is in check. That type of tread pattern has many irregular blocks and can become noisier than say a touring tire if there's slight feathering..

Granted that's the same for many A/T tires like a BFG A/T TA.

A highway tire like a Defender or Hankook Dynapro HP2 have a more constant pattern for quietness but sacrifice off-road traction.

I figure you know this but wanted to mention just in case.
Hi Gmcman,
Yes, I do need and AT type of tire. I live in California and I do a lot of desert camping and exploring, with occasional trips to Baja, Mexico.

It's a two hour drive on the highway and then 10-15 miles in on rocky, sandy, rutted roads into most of our desert campsites. Sometimes even more if we go out exploring. We can put 40-50 off road miles in over a weekend. Nothing very serious as far as "rock crawling" types of situations, but definitely need sidewall and tread protection from sharp rocks, and also need traction for sand washes. We will often air down to help with deep sand situations.

I just had the alignment done 3 years ago, but am going to install new Bilstein 5100's front and rear pretty soon and set the front end up 2 inches. I will get new alignment done after the shocks are installed.

I put about 40 miles on the new Falken Wildpeak AT Trails today and have to say I like them. They feel good on the road. Not noisy at all. They track extremely well. I'm happy with them so far. I'll post up some photos tomorrow.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher