Envoy front tow hooks.

Team Dougherty

Original poster
May 22, 2012
I got up bright and early today to put the factory tow hooks on my Envoy. all went well until I put the bumper cover back on. The hooks did not line up with the holes in the bumper cover so I could not get the bumper cover back on. Is there a different bumper cover for the tow hooks? if not, what am I supposed to do with the bumper cover? I can cut it out but it would not look good,

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I don't remember tow hooks ever being a factory option for Envoys.

Trailblazers. Yes

Envoys. No.

Others will jump in.

Team Dougherty

Original poster
May 22, 2012
TexazReece said:
Could you have purchased the TB tow hooks? I thought the tow hooks were pnp for TB/envoy etc

I did not know there was a difference. that may be my issue.

these are the hooks I have
hooks.jpg

cody_s

Dec 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Could you post up a picture of the bumper cover? I agree, I've never seen an Envoy with tow hooks, at least not factory. Interested in seeing where the holes are in the bumper cover. Mine's been off for a while now, but I don't remember ever having holes for tow hooks.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Envoy did not come with factory tow hooks....

Envoy is the "Luxury* edition

TB is the more "sport" edition

That's the reason behind Envoy's not getting factory tow hooks, even the Denali did not have them.

I know, as I asked every place I went when shopping around for my Envoy, they never had that option available. I was told that if I wanted tow hooks, I'd have to buy the Trailblazer.

Team Dougherty

Original poster
May 22, 2012
cody_s said:
Could you post up a picture of the bumper cover? I agree, I've never seen an Envoy with tow hooks, at least not factory. Interested in seeing where the holes are in the bumper cover. Mine's been off for a while now, but I don't remember ever having holes for tow hooks.

I will. The holes are located between the fog lights.

23683270001_large.jpg

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Team Dougherty said:
I will. The holes are located between the fog lights.

23683270001_large.jpg

The bumpers on the TB are higher up, right about the license plate in the front. The bumpers on the Envoy is lower, and the "holes" for the tow hooks are right under the front plate.

Pic 1- Tow hook bolt on left side

P1030533.jpg

Pic 2- Tow hook bolt right side

P1030534.jpg

Pic 3- The bolt is hidden behind a plastic bar on the secondary grille, it would have to be removed

P1030535.jpg

Pic 4-

Showing the height of where the hook bolts are, they are below the license plate where as the TB bolts are above.

P1030536.jpg

I really don't think it would work, unless you did some bumper modifications....But factory OEM tow hooks were not an option on the Envoy.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
cody_s said:
*EDIT* Sorry, didn't see VoyMom's reply before I wrote this, I think she nailed it perfectly

I even have the towing package on mine, and with some vehicles the towing package comes with tow hooks, but the Envoy does not. I think it could be done if you are really wanting them, but it's probably going to take some work, cutting, and modifications to get them to work. I REALLY wanted tow hooks on mine, but unfortunately they weren't an option.

Even calling the dealership to see if they had factory tow hooks revealed the same issue. I didn't want to believe the salesman who sold me my truck, but when I called the dealership they said the same thing.

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
I do believe you are going to have to cut the bumper cover on an Envoy. You could get an aftermarket bumper or curt accessory that will has its own tow points.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Team Dougherty said:
I did not know there was a difference. that may be my issue.

these are the hooks I have
hooks.jpg

They are the strangest looking tow hooks I've ever seen, where's the "hook"?

Voymom said:
Pic 3- The bolt is hidden behind a plastic bar on the secondary grille, it would have to be removed
Assuming, that they are the "tow hooks" for an Envoy, maybe the hump closest to the bolt hole is designed to go around the plastic tooth in the grill :undecided:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
They don't strike me as being very strong that way either. Too much leveraging force on them.

Team Dougherty

Original poster
May 22, 2012
the roadie said:
Universal hooks are useless. All depends on where you mount them. For instance, I can state from personal noob experience that mounting to the radiator skid plate is dumb.

radiator%20skid%20plate.jpg

Is there a story with that statement?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Team Dougherty said:
Is there a story with that statement?
Posted on the OS years ago, and I haven't brought the story over here yet:

Oh, that reminds me of a painfully stupid mod I did when first starting out. I thought I needed some hooks (Envoys don't have the factory hook option because of the bumper design). So I bolted them to the radiator skid plate! Facing DOWNWARDS! :rolleyes: :hopeless :weird:

First hit on some compacted sand on a trail hill, and the skid plate pushed the radiator bottom back and the fan jammed to the shroud. No cooling unless I was facing into the wind! Had to get a tug from a Jeep buddy, since there were no other tug points to tie a strap to. I was such a noob. :sadcry:

radiatorpull.jpg

Team Dougherty

Original poster
May 22, 2012
the roadie said:
Posted on the OS years ago, and I haven't brought the story over here yet:

Oh, that reminds me of a painfully stupid mod I did when first starting out. I thought I needed some hooks (Envoys don't have the factory hook option because of the bumper design). So I bolted them to the radiator skid plate! Facing DOWNWARDS! :rolleyes: :hopeless :weird:

First hit on some compacted sand on a trail hill, and the skid plate pushed the radiator bottom back and the fan jammed to the shroud. No cooling unless I was facing into the wind! Had to get a tug from a Jeep buddy, since there were no other tug points to tie a strap to. I was such a noob. :sadcry:

radiatorpull.jpg

Ouch, We are all noobies at one time.

Peter K

May 10, 2019
Gales Ferry, CT
I don't remember tow hooks ever being a factory option for Envoys.

Trailblazers. Yes

Envoys. No.

Others will jump in.

I'm a new member (Peter K) I just received a letter (2nd request) about tow hooks for my 2006 Envoy XL LST. They gave me the following Number for the front only : 15155843 and 15155842 (left and right). I now have to get a drawing as to where the go and if I have to motify the front bumper. The price each from the dlr. was over $100 each. Send me any comments to help me out

Peter K

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Those are Trailblazer tow hooks, and they wont work without bumper modification.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Seems like the Voys never got any. TB hooks would probably bolt in but you would have to cut some holes in the bumper to access them. I would get a pair from a TB in a yard. Much cheaper and you would get the bolts too.

Reactions: Wooluf1952

Peter K

May 10, 2019
Gales Ferry, CT
Those are Trailblazer tow hooks, and they wont work without bumper modification.

Thank you for advising me of the facts. This information was direct for a letter I received for GM Customer Service. I explained that I had a 2006 Envoy XL -SLT. They gave me those stock #'s and to contact my local GMC Dealer to purchase them. They are going to get a nasty note back asking why the false information.. They even informed me that they only available for the front.
Thank you again

Peter K

Peter K

May 10, 2019
Gales Ferry, CT
It's finally been verified by GM in an email to me, that no tow hooks were ever available for the 2006 Envoy. They then stated that since its the same frame that Trailblazer front hooks only would work with modification to the bumper.

Peter K

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online