Envoy fan clutch tick?

bpdebroy88

Original poster
Feb 8, 2014
I know there has been a million posts on this topic but will your fan clutch tick constantly if it's going bad? I have a consistent loud ticking noise coming from the fan. No other symptons really that ive heard of a bad fan clutch, but does this hint towards a bad one?

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
I have never heard one do that before. There must be something hitting the fan as it is spinning. After it is cool spin it around and find the culprit. Report back I will try to help. Click like on my post when you reply so I will get notification.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Pre-2005 fan clutches could indeed tick as the control relay activates the slilcone fluid solenoid valve. If I remember the tech bulletins properly. They improved the PCM programming also in 2005 for click-reduction and also better AC performance on a cold start with a hot cabin.

You might benefit from a PCMofNC tune with updated software, or a dealer visit to get the post 2005 programming.

For more reading:

View attachment 57264

Reactions: bpdebroy88

bpdebroy88

Original poster
Feb 8, 2014
Thank u roadie i have been thinking of doing that. Could the update at the dealer alone possibly solve the tick?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Most people care far more about the AC performance improvement, and if you're at all thinking about a tune, check out the PCMofNC web site. Many dealers rip you off for the update, charging an hour minimum for a ten minute job.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.