Envoy 2006 was AWD an option?

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
My daughter is looking to replace her horribly rusted 02 265,000 miles :wink: with an 06 Envoy
The dealer said it didnt have AWD?? was that an option? or maybe he and her misunderstood because the dial doesnt say AWD anymore?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Envoys was either a 2WD or 4WD there was not an option for AWD. Bravada and Ranier had the AWD along with the TB SS

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
None of the Envoys or Trailblazers (except the Trailblazer SS) had AWD as an option. They were only selectable 4WD, that did have an Auto 4WD mode (not really the same as AWD).

They were also available with just RWD.

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
ok yeah I meant did they come with only 2 wheel drive, the 2002 switch says AWD which was determined to be misleading as it meant a lame Auto 4wd.
Yeah i'm not gunna support her getting one that is RWD only.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
02-05 4WD look like this:
s-l300.jpg

06+ 4wd look like this:
Picture.aspx

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
My daughters 02 doesnt look like that, its 2HI, AWD, 4HI, 4LO
I'll have her send me a pic, lol. I used to always be confused why it said AWD

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
as it meant a lame Auto 4wd.

Lame? I thought the auto tcase was a great feature. Proper maintenance is vital of course.

I have an '06 V8. The engine is awesome, powerful, but has a risk of failure in the AFM which is very bad. The rest of truck is slowly bankrupting me. I hope you have better luck.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The part time AWD system as well as the A4WD setting on the 4x4 is lame compared to full time AWD. I call it the "slip/bang" system. Rear wheels slip and it bangs in the front wheels, which is likely the reason for stripped intermediate shafts. That's why we don't recommend to use the A4WD setting. If you need 4x4, use it. Not much we can do with the AWD system. it's just there unless it's disabled.

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
ok yeah that is her same dial lol.
Yeah lame awd, I'm comparing it to my Q7 which isn't remotely fair lol.
I never drove her car in the snow but I did aggressively test it at some point and there was a lot of spinning going on.
where when I tested the quattro system I almost hit my house because I was expecting spinning but instead all 4 spun for less than a second then all 4 gripped! nothing phases the quattro system, its quite boring in the snow, you would never know there was snow.

I saw you or someone mention the AFM, I read up a little, that requires taking valve covers off or something to disable it?
There was a v8 Denali for sale near here but carfax said 2 accidents and the dealer it is at have bad reviews so I never looked at it.
sigh.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check the AFQ. Lots of info on AFM.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.