Amazon Product Enterprise Grade 3.5" 6 TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive: $67.00

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If you run Older PC Hardware (Private Servers or CCTV Surveillance Machines) that needs dense, 3.5" Hard Disk storage, reliable search and access speed (7,200 RPM) along with an Enterprise Grade Three Year Warranty...You'd be hard pressed to find one having a Whopping 6 TB Storage capacity for better than the one that is going for only $67.00 (MaxDigitalData Brand) at this link over on Amazon.

I still maintain two older Dell Precision T7400 Servers (Intel Dual Quad, 8 Core Per Xeon X5482 @ 3.2 Ghz Processors) with 128 Gigs of Above On Riser Board RAM) that I will ALWAYS keep on hand and up to date for extremely reliable Multi-Media Storage and useful as Entertainment Centers and general data storage while running the latest version of Linux Mint as its OS:

51sy8wvBKZS._AC_SL1000_.jpg51t+xG6X0TS._AC_SL1000_.jpg51U0aY49ckS._AC_SL1000_.jpg51z7uv1Q7hS._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Got it saved for my server stuff.. Needing a BOD for the build..

Downside is I am limited to 4 SATA ports, and not sure how a surveillance drive will work for media storage.

Edit: Sorry got called back to work before I could finish my thought..

I currently have some Seagate EXOS 14TB models ($210) saved in my server build list. Those above would save me money, at the cost of SATA. Not sure how large I need my server to be at the moment. In Raid5, I loose a minimum of 1 drive for Redundancy. So at 4 drives, minus one, is 18 large enough... I gotta do some math here.

I currently have 6x4tb in Raid, 24tb total, but only 12 is usuable. I am at 70% usage on those. But my media library is slowly expanding.

My Server, Dell R710 with 256g of ram, dual XEON processors, and the above mentioned HDD. Been running flawlessly for 10 years now. 10 years ago, this was the cats meow.. now.. not so much.

Issue with having a server of this particular caliber is that the board, and PSU's, dont have the needed 6 or 8 pin power supplys for a viable video card. And even if they did, the case doesnt allow that viable video card. I have a older board powered Quadro P400 in it currently, but Quadros of this vintage (2018) cant do 4k, and can barely do 1080. I need a Quadro P4000 or a Nvidia GTX 1070 or newer.

Hence why I am building a standard computer, with off the shelf parts.

Last edited:

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The fact that these drives are of an "Enterprise" Grade Quality means that with a Three Year Warranty on them, their MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) is likely their having an extremely small failure rate. The other aspect is the reduction in their "Seek to Find" times. This is an excerpt from an interesting 'TOTA' (Technical On Topic Article) that provides an explanation:

7200 RPM Hard Drives' Advantage

"7200 RPM hard drives' advantage is the high performance. Typically, the more the hard drive RPM, the faster the hard disk. Therefore, 7200 RPM hard drives are usually faster than 5400 RPM hard drives."

"For a 7200 RPM hard drive, the time required for each revolution is 60 × 1000 ÷ 7200 = 8.33 milliseconds, and the average rotation latency time is 8.33 ÷ 2 = 4.17 milliseconds. For a 5400 RPM hard drive, its average rotation latency time is 60 × 1000 ÷ 5400 ÷ 2 = 5.56 milliseconds."

The ordinary pricing on such drives is generally in the $350 to $500 Range, so the Price Point for what you are getting for only $67.00 is remarkable. If there is any down side to such drives it is the requisite increase in their Decibel Level and Higher Thermal Foot Print. Fast Drives are Naturally Noisier (and HOTTER) than their Less Speedy Brethren.

Finally, the Tag Line on these being designated for "Surveillance" is just an indication of how sturdy they would need to be for use in such applications as CCT (Closed Circuit Television) in Hospitals, Hotels, Business and Government Security Systems where Longevity, Durability and Reliability when needed most are THE serious priorities or considerations.

As long as you have designed any Home Created Server with Good Thermal and Sound Control.... THIS Drive would work fine in any PlayStation or Gaming Box for reliable secondary or multi-media storage. Trust me... They are practically GIVING these Massive Six Terabyte Secondary Storage Things away at only $67.00 per Drive!

Last edited:

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
OMG... Ammmu-Gettin'-TWO-More-Uh-DEEZ-Brah!

Test Installation Hardware cobbled together from some Extra Dell Server Parts-N-Stuff:

Dell Precision 690 Dual Quad Xeon Processors with 16 GB of ECC Ram (2GB X 8 Sticks on MOBO)

Test Installation Software:

Linux Mint Ver. 21.1 "Vera" (2.1 GB ISO on 250GB USB-3 Thumb Drive)

Installation Glitches, Or... Failures to Recognize Dell Server Hardware or FREEZE-UPS...?

NONE... Not so much as a Burp...

Problems with Automatic HD Formatting in EXT-4 or Partitioning Size Limiting Issues...?

NONE... The FULL 6 Terabytes of the Platters is completely accessible in One Go using the Linux Mint Operating System...

I cannot swear whether or not Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 7 or 8 or Windows 10 or 11 will install with this much ease... but given THIS recent install experience, I doubt there will be ANY Problems with these New 6 Tera-Byte 7,200 RPM Drive(s). I'll be putting THESE Babies into my other Dell Precision T7400 Boxes ,as well!

NOT BAD... FOR ONLY $67.00, Dudes...!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: christo829

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Did some research on those hard drives. They are Seagate EXOS hard drives that got knocked out for QC. Usually this was because the hard drive was noisier than allowed? If in a server, you wouldnt ever notice.

Definitely on my list of possibilities to save money thou. In Raid 1+0 I would loose 1 hard drive for parity and redundancy.

Still havent made the decision. Waiting on Taxes and a Estate to close..

Reactions: mrrsm

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:goodpost:
One of the drives in my RAID array failed this evening, thankfully remembered this thread and have one arriving tomorrow.

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
THIS is another opportunity to get an 8 TB Server Drive with a Three Year Warranty on a unit with a Two Million Hour Operational MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure). At only $88.00 ... @ $11.00 a TB... THIS Server RAID Quality, High Density Secondary Storage Price Point ...simply cannot be BEAT!

8TBSERVERHARDRIVE1.jpg51Emw198h+S._AC_SL1000_.jpg51AOUPrs4WS._AC_SL1000_.jpg51SjtMiAkdS._AC_SL1000_.jpg51d-kxMVc5S._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danfromutah

Members Online