Engines that burn oil

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Interesting video explaining why newer engines burn more oil. Kinda makes sense.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
It is interesting but, maybe creates more questions than it answers, like why the randomness of oil burners?, and valve guide resistance?...really?
Thanks for sharing, Mike.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Which is the reason they brought back the low oil level warning system. The 2015 Tahoes at work usually need a couple of liters of oil prior to the oil change period. They also use 0w20 oil. Pretty thin IMHO.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I think the randomness of it comes down to the fact that rings aren't hand matched anymore or something to that effect. In the 90s 350s supposedly had the rings matched to the bore as well as pistons and then that went away once nbs came about because it was a lot of extra work in production. At least that's what I read somewhere I think. In an ideal world that won't make a difference but there is the potential for a little difference in fit. I also believe that the hd truck engines (6.2 and 6.0) as well as perhaps the corvette engine do still have that step? I haven't had any burn issues in the sierra with the 6.0 and I know they tweak those a little different then the regular since it's expected to be in fleet service. Or I'm just totally wrong.

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
I think the randomness of it comes down to the fact that rings aren't hand matched anymore or something to that effect. In the 90s 350s supposedly had the rings matched to the bore as well as pistons and then that went away once nbs came about because it was a lot of extra work in production. At least that's what I read somewhere I think. In an ideal world that won't make a difference but there is the potential for a little difference in fit. I also believe that the hd truck engines (6.2 and 6.0) as well as perhaps the corvette engine do still have that step? I haven't had any burn issues in the sierra with the 6.0 and I know they tweak those a little different then the regular since it's expected to be in fleet service. Or I'm just totally wrong.

i heard that gm stopped doing that in the 350 in 98, but my 99 suburban with the 5.7 never burned any oil, so i'm not sure how true that is. i don't know about the vortec 4.2 but none of my vehicles have ever been oil burners, all gms except for two fords, and everybody around me in toyotas and subarus is adding oil all day and here i am with my "crappy american cars" never having to add any oil.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Only time I had an oil burner was my 5.3 in my Silverado until I turned off AFM. It does still use a little, but so little it isn't worth even bothering with.

His explanation makes sense. And the idea of a pan capacity, dipstick, and oil level monitor system that has reserve for the amount expected between service intervals to prevent freak out makes sense too - wonder why they don't do that. Or maybe they are starting to, at least GM - the new trucks have a larger oil capacity. Hm.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online