Engine temp

tricguy007

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
While engine is warmed up, at idle it will see 206-212 degrees, then when engine speed is raised even to 1000 rpm or more ( after stop light or any take off ) it will slowly decrease to 201 with varying outside temps (torquepro values)already did thermostat less than 6 months temp sensor 1.5yrs old,newer coolant , water pump/radiator- original, 4.2l 170k

While engine is warmed up, at idle it will see 206-212 degrees, then when engine speed is raised even to 1000 rpm or more ( after stop light or any take off ) it will slowly decrease to 201 with varying outside temps (torquepro values)already did thermostat less than 6 months temp sensor 1.5yrs old,newer coolant , water pump/radiator- original, 4.2l 170k
am I over thinking this or is this normal

Last edited by a moderator:

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
I installed a Stant thermostat in my 5.3 and had nothing but problems, temp was all over the place. I bought a dealer thermostat and the temps are now rock steady at 195º

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
What is your Cooling fan doing? If it running wide open due to failure you can have something similar.

Reactions: Mounce

tricguy007

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I put on the 08 non electronic fan so I know the fan is working

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Yes I did. But only a temp drop under moderate acceleration. Otherwise it holds around 199 and never higher. In the cold. When it's warm it used to creep up to 210.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I also have the thermal clutch on both and it does work differently than the electro-viscous but it shouldn't make that much difference temp wise. The thermostat is the temp regulator. Revving the engine higher would increase water flow so this could account for the lowering of the temperature. Over even more time, it may start to climb back up to the higher values.

Although your readings seem higher than the majority, it seems to be good. What brand thermostat did you use?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.