Engine Swap

Coyote56

Original poster
Dec 26, 2014
I am new to this forum, and a first time time poster. I'm this post, I would like to ask the feasibility of swapping a 6.0L into my pickup. My truck is a slightly rusting 2003 Silverado with 191k miles. Its powered by a 4.3L V6, with what I believe to be a 4L60E trans backing up the engine. I have owned the truck for three years, and can't complain too much, but the power from the old V6 is, well, ... Lacking. My cousin is currently building a pulling truck and offered me the old 6.0L V8 that used to power his rig. (He went up to 500--something horse 6.0L.) I'm wondering if it would be worth swapping the motor into my truck. I would do the work myself, if it might be done.

My questions include:
Would the 4L60E last behind a 6.0L?
Will the 6.0L even fit with out rebuilding the truck?
What would I have to do with electronics?
Has anyone done this before?
How bad with would my gas milage drop? My Silverado is my daily driver, and I have a roughly 80 mile round trip commute.
Would the rear end need swapped?
Is there something here I'm missing?
I purchased my truck for $601. Is it worth the time/expense?
Can this even be done on a college kid's budget? I've never swapped a motor, but my father has.

The motor came out of a 2001 Chevy 3500 cab & chassis.
Thank you for your assistance in advance!
My truck is pictured below.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419620916007.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419620916007.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 10

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
First of all Welcome to the Nation!!

As far as the engine swap anything can be done given enough time and money. Can it be done on a college budget? only you can make that decision, but if it is anything like my budget was...hell no lol.

If the 6.0 was left bone stock the 4l60e might last for a while, but it really should be built. IMO

Don't forget to fill out your prfile info, and again Welcome! :thumbsup:

felicie

Jan 13, 2013
The fitting in is easy all it will is the stock 6.0 engine mounts, go to the salvage yard and get a harness and computer. Plenty of videos and articles on what you need and not need, one from around the same year is best. I don't know what rear end you have but look at it the same time. The only real headache will be going from the 6 to the 8 harness.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.