Engine Swap Questions

02gtp

Original poster
Oct 9, 2015
Fort Worth, TX
Hello everyone. I have a couple of questions regarding engine swapping and my search didn't bring up the results I am seeking.

I own a 2007 Saab 97x 5.3i the engine has spun a bearing and now I am looking at my options.
I wanted to know what all would be needed to swap a L83 into my truck. I assume the computer but otherwise, what else? Is this even a good idea or should I try to locate another stock engine and go that route? I want to keep my truck and im hoping to resolve this motor issue for 3k or less. ( the l83 is at a good price).

Thanks and any positive input either way is appreciated.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Have you read up on the L83 ? There is quite a bit difference from your present 5.3. beyond the computer issues.

02gtp

Original poster
Oct 9, 2015
Fort Worth, TX
Have you read up on the L83 ? There is quite a bit difference from your present 5.3. beyond the computer issues.
Gen V, AFM, Direct Injection, VVT....a little...Those are some of the reasons I am asking. Can I use a stock L83 with its associated ecu in my vehicle? Has anyone attempted something even like this?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I don't think anyone has tried it yet. The ECU is totally different, not sure what would be involved getting a newer ECU working in your truck. There's a lot to these things anymore that makes engine swaps outside of the same gen a lot harder than it used to be.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That would definitely be a difficult swap. You're going across generations of engine and transmission controls as well as a different transmission (6L80E) that likely would need fabrication to swap in and likely need to remove the AWD system currently in your truck turning it into a 2wd (not a big loss though, it sucks). PCM to BCM communication would also be another issue to deal with. Programming/tuning of the PCM may also be an issue as GM started using a new protocol on all 2014+ vehicles. These engines are just too new to start tinkering with yet.

If you need another engine, I'd go with a truck iron block of the same vintage, cheaper than an aluminum and plentiful. 5.3L would be a straight swap but for some more oomph, a 6.0L truck block would be almost a straight swap. Just need to reprogram the PCM. Can also be cammed and modded enough to get a lot of power out of it. If mine were to croak, that's what I'd do.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'm with @Mooseman on this one. If you can find one from a GMT900 (Burb or Yukon XL) the 6.0L L96 has almost exactly the same HP / TQ as the L83, and it would be a lot easier to add power to it, if you needed more down the road. Not to mention being easier to retrofit from a ECU / PCM perspective. They're also found in the 3/4T trucks as well

If the L96 will bolt up to the 4L60e (and it looks like it will - just don't get an early L96 from pre-2000), that's definitely how I'd go, vs. an L83.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
If you need another engine, I'd go with a truck iron block of the same vintage, cheaper than an aluminum and plentiful. 5.3L would be a straight swap but for some more oomph, a 6.0L truck block would be almost a straight swap. Just need to reprogram the PCM. Can also be cammed and modded enough to get a lot of power out of it. If mine were to croak, that's what I'd do.

Has anyone actually been able to swap the engines on the 360's to Iron Blocks? I've been toying around with doing a similar mod to my TB when I had it, but I may consider doing it in the future if/when the lifters crap out on the Envoy. It doesn't seem all that hard, PCM reflashing aside, would the oil pan be transferable to the new block keeping the 4x4? And I assume the starter reluctor needs to be the same as what's in there now?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Everything is the same between the two. Just one is aluminum and the other iron. Parts swap between the two.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175