Engine swap for 07 saab97x 5.3i need advice on used engine please

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
a man n FB was asking for an opinion on his 5.3 it was knocking. the sounds where exactly like the sounds mine 5.3 is making.
a well respected memeber said it was a bad first jounle.
what is a first junnale a crank or cam bear?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have no clue what you're saying. Some of those words aren't English.

Reactions: Mike534x

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
a video on fake book of a 5.3 nocking sounded exactly like my nocking
soeone chimed in saying it was a first jurnal needs rebuild and is a common issue w/ these gm engines.
I've never heard the term first jurnal I asked what's the parts list for rebuild an advicer never came back & explained

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
But whats a jurnal? I've never heard of this term, or wording associated with any 5.3 LS based engine.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
@Sprung Monkey , You need to spell check more. I think I got it right on the corrections:

a video on fake book of a 5.3 knocking sounded exactly like my knocking
someone
chimed in saying it was a first journal needs rebuild and is a common issue w/ these gm engines.
I've never heard the term first journal I asked what's the parts list for rebuild and advice provider never came back & explained

I think by journal he means the bearing journals. However I doubt he knows what happens when an engine runs low on oil in that it would be the rear bearing that would suffer the most as it's the last one to get oil in the gallery and therefore the first to lack it if oil pressure goes down. A main bearing would likely spin and squeal rather than knock whereas a connecting rod would knock at a steady rhythm. Here's what mine sounded like:

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Ah that would explain it. My first thought was something to do with the bearings, but didn't know "jurnal" was the bearing journals. I presume if his truck sounds like that, then his bearing is gone and a new engine would really be the best way to go?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online