Engine Surge AGAIN!

lesam678

Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Hi All, A year ago we were getting the engine misfire code and we researched here and at the old site and came to the conclusion that the throttle body needed cleaning. So after following all the excellent directions and replacing the air filter things were wonderful. Was even getting better gas mileage. Fast forward to now. Things are back to surging and getting the engine misfire code again. I put the seafoam cleaner in the gas and used the high octane no real change. I did find that if I stomped on the gas while rolling at about 30 and didn't let up till I hit 70 that it wouldn't surge after that till next time I drove it, but now the surging is getting more frequent. Spark plugs were changed about 2yrs ago. Truck has132k miles on it. I work third shift and have to drive the interstate and really don't want to get stick on the side of the road at 11pm. Anyone help with suggestions on what to fix/clean now?

RayGumm

Apr 16, 2014
How many miles since you cleaned the throttle body? I don't know how much you drive, but I certainly rack up enough miles to warrant a throttle body cleaning once a year. Any other codes stored in the PCM?

dwzook

Feb 18, 2013
I've had a couple coil packs go out over the last few months. Does your engine code say a specific cylinder misfire? Mine would show random misfire until I drove it for a while so it could figure out which cylinder it was

lesam678

Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Husband never would say what the codes were but the auto parts store read it once and it was p0121 which was throttle body not misfire. It's only been about 12k miles since the throttle body was last cleaned. I'm really wondering if it's a sensor, I just find it weird that I can make it stop surging. It wasn't always practical to stomp on the gas so I found that if I put the cruise on and then tap the gas pedal hard three times it stops. For some reason every vehicle I've had seems to get gremlins, wipers that just go off by themselves, mirrors that adjust for no reason....good thing I'm not superstitious.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmaxdob

Members Online