Engine Sounds Louder Than Normal

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
My 03 TB engine sounds louder than normal. I droppped it off at a mechanic and they checked the altenator, took off the belt and and spun all the pullys and said they all sounded good. The only way i can describe the noise is that the engine just sounds louder. Iv read alot of complaints about a bad fan clutch but i looked up a video of a bad fan clutch on a TB and it sounded like a jet, which mine doesnt. Can you post videos on here? If you can id love to post a short video of the sound of my TB. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Most members upload their videos to Youtube or Photobucket, and then post them on here. Have you looked at anything in your exhaust system maybe? Cracked manifold, hole in the muffler or something?

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Blckshdw said:
Most members upload their videos to Youtube or Photobucket, and then post them on here. Have you looked at anything in your exhaust system maybe? Cracked manifold, hole in the muffler or something?

Ok heres what it does after i messed with it a little. When I started it up, the egine being cold, it was making the noise. The noise is a whinning sound. When I turn on the AC the sound goes away for the most part, but it seems when the engine starts to get hotter the sound goes on and off while the AC is on. When I turn off the AC, the sounds comes right back. Im gonna post a video soon of it.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Does the sound go on and off at the same time as the AC clutch engages and disengages? Look at the front of the AC compressor to see this happen. If it does, then it's the AC clutch bearing. Replacement of that is possible at home, but not for the inexperienced. If that's it, run a search - it's been discussed both here and at trailvoy.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
the roadie said:
Does the sound go on and off at the same time as the AC clutch engages and disengages? Look at the front of the AC compressor to see this happen. If it does, then it's the AC clutch bearing. Replacement of that is possible at home, but not for the inexperienced. If that's it, run a search - it's been discussed both here and at trailvoy.

Yeah, when the AC clutch engages the noise goes away for the most part and when I disengage it the noise comes back on. I wont be able to replace it, but whats a ball park estimate on the cost to get it replaced?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Rudeawakening said:
...whats a ball park estimate on the cost to get it replaced?
That's the second most impossible question for a forum to answer accurately. Way too many variables. Best would be to research local mechanics on Yelp and the BBB, then call around. If you get quotes that include replacing the entire AC compressor, or taking it off the vehicle, then they don't know how to do it in a way that saves you money. If all your town has is goofball parts swappers instead of true mechanics, they might all conspire to quote you new or remanufactured compressor assemblies and there's $1000. So perhaps that's the ballpark - $200-1000.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Here is the video. It should be noted that theres a really high pitched sqeaking in the video. My TB does not make that noise so i think its just the video. At about 0.33 sec. in is when I turn on the AC, at around 1:07 is when I turn it off.[video=youtube;ukr7dBjZD2U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukr7dBjZD2U&feature=plcp[/video]

Mypetropig

Dec 29, 2011
I can hear a slight audible change near the end of the video. Unless its some sort of optical illusion, it looks like the outside of your fan is turning but not the blades. Is your entire fan assembly turning?

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Mypetropig said:
I can hear a slight audible change near the end of the video. Unless its some sort of optical illusion, it looks like the outside of your fan is turning but not the blades. Is your entire fan assembly turning?

Yes it is, sorry i should of posted that. I noticed it too, when i would look at the phone while it was recording the blades didnt look like they were spinning but when i looked at the truck it was so its just an illusion.

Mypetropig

Dec 29, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
Does that sound like and AC clutch bearing?

Well it starts when the A/C is on and quits when its off so I guess its possible. Maybe someone with some actual experience with a clutch bearing will chime in.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Most places will change out the entire compressor because for some stupid reason you can't just buy the pulley + clutch :hissyfit: I have the same noise and have been just dealing with it. I do have a new bearing for the pulley so at some point I'll attempt to replace that. Just need time and motivation.

Rudeawakening

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Ok, great news! I was able to just get the bearing replaced, and that was definetely it! Its nice and quiet now, thanks everyone for your help.:thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.