Engine sensor PM ?

Ilikemy3s

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Wanted to run a thought past the collective hive mind. Since I am pushing 250k miles on my daily driver, would it be wise to replace all of the original sensors now to same headaches and not risk a break down later ? I was thinking sensors like O2s, MAP, MAF, Camshaft Position, Crank, and or any others that may come to mind.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The only one I might change is the upstream O2 sensor only because it can become lazy over time and increase fuel consumption. The others, except maybe for the crank sensor, will not cause a complete breakdown and will allow the engine to continue to start/run until repaired. Even a CPAS failure will not stop the engine. For the crank sensor, actual failures are few and far between and may even run off the cam sensor until you can stop safely (just an assumption on my part, would be a cool experiment). If you do replace it, it will require a CASE relearn using a Tech 2 or other advanced scanner.

There have been far more breakdowns from other parts such as fuel pumps and fan clutches (yes, the fan clutch can put the engine into REP mode if shorted) than any sensor failure. A sudden electrical issue is also far more likely to stop you in your tracks.

I think just replacing sensors just for the sake of replacing them is a waste of money IMHO.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.