NEED HELP Engine removal

ifelden

Original poster
Oct 10, 2014
So I've been in the process or putting in a reman motor and keep hitting little snags. Still haven't gotten the engine out sadly because I'm stuck on the bellhousing bolt issue. I have 10 of them out and the last one, driver side top above starter I just cant get out, mainly because I just cannot find it at all. Hell I cant feel it or anything so my main thing is what can anyone tell me to get it out? I have damn near tried everything I can think of. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I had to remove the engine mounts and drop the engine onto the crossmember to get those top bolts outs/in. I think I also dropped the tranny onto the crossmember as well. Maybe spotting it with a mirror or a borescope might help.

ifelden

Original poster
Oct 10, 2014
I may have to drop it from the mount then. The trans crossmember is disconnected right now so then just take out the mount then? I figure when I put the new one in I'm gonna delete those bolts and just not put them back in

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would put them all back in. I did at great pains. If the engineers put them on there, it's for a reason.

Reactions: MAY03LT

ifelden

Original poster
Oct 10, 2014
My only thing I can see you know is 11 bolts to the bellhouse is a ridiculous amount. That's my only reason

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
For the sake of safety and the Ultimate in control for both taking it out and putting it back in...this device will be a LIFESAVER! Also,,,when lowered on this unit after the Cross-Member and Drive-Shaft have been removed... using some "Extra Long" Wobbly Style 1/2" Extensions and a whole lot of patience reaching over the top and on an oblique angle......the Bell Housing Bolts around the top will yield!

Don't forget to have a Flat 3/4" X 3/16" x10" piece of Mild Steel with a 3/8" Hole drilled on one end along with using a Bathroom Toilet Tank Brass Hardware Kit to use to bend inward while slipping it in front of the Torque Converter and using the steel piece and the Brass HW through one of the Bell Housing Bolt Holes to keep the TC in place...after you have unbolted the three bolts holding the TC to the Flex-Plate. Otherwise... it will come loose from the Transmission Fluid Pump when you separate the Transmission from the back of the engine, ruining the seals and then either fall on the ground.... or on top of YOU!

You did UNBOLT The Torque Converter from the Flex-Plate... Right? Because if NOT... that Transmission will NEVER budge One Inch!
image_23989.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/automo.../450-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html

Last edited:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
There's up to 275 pound feet of rotational torque directly acting upon those bolts trying to shear them off. Would it work missing one or two? Probably. Should you do it? I'd say no.

Swapping a motor is generally not something that you just do 'good enough' on. Why add a failure point that'd be directly your fault if it did fail in that fashion.

Just not something most of us around here would do to our own rides, especially on something as important as the drivetrain.

Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Aren't there two guide pins in the bell housing? Once all the bolts are out you need to pry the motor apart a little.

It's generally easier to pull the engine and trans as a whole.

I seperated them once on a Pontiac then getting them back together was a nightmare.

Once.
Screenshot_2016-03-24-01-19-55-1.png

ifelden

Original poster
Oct 10, 2014
So yes the torque converter is unbolted and although it might be easier to take the trans out with it I'd have too much of a struggle getting the transfer case off. But yes there are guide pins on it but I'm still struggling with that one bolt. I have an idea where it could be but i cannot see it or feel it plus i already lost a socket up there trying to get it. I'm running out of ideas and money leaving it at the shop, I'm trying to get it done sooner than later.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
FWIW... "realfixesrealfast" has an excellent video of their repair of 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer with 4WD that threw a connecting rod and locked up the engine so bad that they were forced to actually take the entire body of the vehicle off of the chassis in order to get the Engine and Transmission and Torque Converter unbolted and separated.

What is significant about this video concerns your need to view these very same conditions you're facing right now. By using their Bird's Eye View on this extensive and very detailed Youtube Video at the points of particular interest, you can DOWNLOAD AND SAVE and WATCH the video. Then you can Watch, Freeze-Frame and Screen-Print the images and locations as needed of where and how the entire vehicle looks under these conditions as often as needed. I think they hover over the transmission for a minute or so towards the end of the video...

Last edited:

ifelden

Original poster
Oct 10, 2014
I have seen this video and trust me that would have made it so much easier. Ill have to take a look and see where its at

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Did you remove the intake manifold? Might give you more room to get at it from the top. You have to take it off anyway for clearance.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Maybe you got them all and the dowel pins are corroded to oblivion, keeping the motor attached.

Reactions: mrrsm
Apr 26, 2014
As I recall I used a combination of extensions and wobbles (both 3/8 and 1/2). I got the socket on up top and held it while a friend did the turning underneath. You need to know where it is so use a mirror to locate it. It's been over 2 years but as I recall I fished the socket in with mechanics wire as I couldn't actually get a hand on it. It took a long time and a lot of patience. That bolt was the biggest obstacle for me.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online