Engine Removal Tips (4.2 i6)

miznitic

Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
I'm going to be removing the engine and replacing it in my '03 TB over the course of the winter. I purchased a Haynes manual and I've been looking at Youtube videos. I have a few questions regarding removal.

• Does the AC line have to be disconnected? It looks like it can be moved out of the way, especially once the compressor is disconnected from the engine.
  • Would a staggered engine removal be easier than a full removal? (e.g., Remove Cylinder head, followed by short-block).
  • Do I have to remove the oil pan? Can I leave the oil pan for last and remove everything else first to make it easier to keep the truck rolling for as long as possible? (My garage, while a two car garage, isn't very deep, so I'm going to have to move it occasionally).

Mike w

Jun 24, 2014
Never removed one but i know its critical that we all knowif it's 4wd, 2wd or AWD.. there is a video on youtube about the removal of a 4.2.

miznitic

Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Its a 4x4. I guess I only sort've hinted at that relating to the point of keeping the oil pan to keep it rolling. There's a video of them removing the body from the frame to do it - Thats beyond what I'm capable of in my garage due to size and tool restraints.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Having first hand experience:

• Maybe. My system was empty at the time so I removed it.
  • I didn't do that and head removal is usually a painful affair due to head bolts always breaking so definitely not recommended. Do remove the intake manifold for extra clearance.
  • No
Here are some other things to consider:

• remove the engine mounts and drop it onto the frame to remove the top bellhousing bolts. It's tight.
  • If 4x4, you have to remove the front axles. Leave the differential on the oil pan during removal and install. You can reconnect the balljoints and put the wheels back on if you need to move the truck around.
  • Don't need to remove the exhaust manifold. Do inspect the one on the replacement engine for cracks. Check the one on your old engine if needed. Get a new manifold if both are cracked (like mine were).
  • exhaust pipe can stay in place.
  • If your power steering lines are rusted, when the engine is out, now is the best time to replace them.
  • Take good notes and mark all wires, connections, lines and especially the grounds.

Reactions: Reprise and Mounce
Apr 26, 2014
I replaced the engine in my 02 about a year and a half ago. To get the engine out you remove the radiator and a/c condenser so yes, the a/c has to be drained. I left the head, oil pan on the engine. I think I left the line to the compressor connected. Take lots of digital pictures with your phone-they are free and really help.

Apr 26, 2014
20140418_075648.jpg

a/c lines stayed connected to the compressor and the compressor came out with the engine when I did it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online