Engine Oil Leak

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Last week checked the fluids, Transmission fluid was low, engine oil was low, went out and bought a quart of Valvoline Transmission fluid, and a quart of Mobil 1 EP, Tranny fluid ended up taking the entire quart, don't really remember the last time I checked the tranny... well 1 quart of Mobil 1 wasn't enough, dipstick was dry, da** the mysterious 2 quart loss has hit my region.. the next day went and bought another quart and it gave me on the dipstick midway through the hashmarks, well later on I noticed oil on the floor, CRAP!!! other than the leak being at the rear of the engine, I have no clue where it's coming from, almost seems like it's dripping down the bell housing, haven't had a chance to lift the truck and check underneath since I've been under the weather ... so prior to adding fluids I had no leaks, driveway was dry... If the RMS was damaged, wouldn't I have had a leak and more, wouldn't it have been all over the driveway? Anyone know if 7 quarts of oil submerges part of the RMS in oil? If that's a no, then I am looking at a valve cover gasket or an oil pan gasket, which I would welcome with open arms since it's a much easier job, especially the oil pan since it's a 2wd and not a 4wd... :biggrin: I already looked up the prices on the RMS, Parts4chevys has it at a good price, I'm thinking of buying the cover as well, just in case it's cracked... at 60 dollars for both shipped, compared to what my local dealer will probably ask for the seal itself, just can't pass it up....

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
If the RMS was submerged in oil then the crankshaft would also be submerged in oil.
That would cause a lot of foaming oil.
So to your question, no. The RMS is above the oil.
Except, maybe on a hill.

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
If the RMS was submerged in oil then the crankshaft would also be submerged in oil.
That would cause a lot of foaming oil.
So to your question, no. The RMS is above the oil.
Except, maybe on a hill.

thanks, didn't know about the foaming part...

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Oil leak was not the RMS, it was the Oil filter... and the transmission pan gasket...

triz

Apr 22, 2013
KNBlazer said:
Oil leak was not the RMS, it was the Oil filter... and the transmission pan gasket...

Better late than never. Thanks for the update though.

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Oil loss was internal..RMS was replaced during transmission rebuild, oil consumption continued....scraper rings were trashed, 200,046 miles.....

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Dang I keep seeing reports cropping up of these engines blowing rings and drinking oil after 200k miles... Mine is going strong at 201k and change, hoping for another couple years out of it (another 20k+ miles) before I am forced to replace the truck. But I've also seen a lot with well over 200k miles so here's hoping.

*fingers crossed*

Reactions: KNBlazer

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.