Engine not starting.

suburbs

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Unable to get the engine going. This morning sounded like it turned over for a moment, but I could have been imagining things with a late night. Tried jumper cables, then a trickle charger with no results. Tested all the fuses, all good.

Most recently I installed LED ribbon under dash, rear seats, and under each door. Spliced off gray/black dome wire, grounded to door, all working fine. I did cross pos and neg wires during install, blew fuse #4 in BCM which I replaced and domes worked fine. All connections heat shrunk/taped.

Battery is about 8 months old.

Video shows key insert and start attempt at the same time the hazards going strange speed with dim illumination on dash. Not sure if sound effects and gauge jumping is standard after ignition turned off, one of those things I never paid attention to before.

[video=youtube_share;Wl20hbCulNo]http://youtu.be/Wl20hbCulNo[/video]

Any thoughts or wisdom is much appreciated. Next step is trying a new battery?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I can tell you, the gauges dipping and making that buzz sound is when they are connected to power (when they previously weren't) If jumping/charging didn't work, I would say double check your battery cable connections. Although they may feel 'wiggle' tight, they can still be loose enough to not have a good enough connection to start your truck. I went through that headache when I first got my TB. Due to an extended terminal bolt being a hair too long, I was able to twist the positive connection around the bolt's axis, even though it felt pretty tight. Replaced it with a shorter one, and the cable wouldn't move once tightened up. No more 'dead battery' syndrome.

If that doesn't work, it could be your ignition switch failing. Not very expensive to fix, but the battery connection check is free, so start there. :twocents:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Do you own a meter to check battery voltage before starting to swap parts? Without a meter, how did you test the fuses? I've seen some fuse testers before, but they usually can't check the large "J-case" ones around the outside edge of the fuse block, two of which run the ignition switch.

pejeeper

Jan 27, 2012
The buzzing sounds reminds of of my Buick when my starter solenoid fried. Think of the 'click' from a dead battery, but a 100x's faster. Solenoid tried to engage the starter but incorrectly. I replaced both starter & solenoid.

Not saying that's what it is....but what it reminded me of......

Odd that the gauges dip and the hazards flash quicker.

suburbs

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
gmcman said:
Could you elaborate more on this? Brief touch or backwards install? Please be specific.

Brief touch. LED ribbon connectors were of low quality, took two or three different connectors to find one that worked, so I kept twisted exposed wires as a temp connection to find a connector that worked. In the process red and black met, and they did not appreciate each other. Fuse number 4 replaced, domes were good to go. Do not recall if I had an ignition cycle between then and current issues. Spent all week at Avy school, didn't do any driving.

suburbs

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Swapped batteries today.

Tried to start a few times, did not hear starter click first 2 attempts. Third attempt it fired right up.

Had an appointment at the gun range, so I disconnected the battery and will get back at it tomorrow.

Thinking ignition switch is the next step.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online