Engine Monitoring Feedback: Lazy O2 Sensor?

Blckshdw

OK, as some of you remember, I had some concerns about my engine's behavior following a transmission and water pump replacement a couple months ago. I've been looking at Torque from time to time while on the road, as well as looking at other people's threads and screen shots when I noticed something today... My upstream O2 sensor, while it does oscillate (most of the time) it doesn't appear to be doing it anywhere near as quickly as I've seen it for others.

Managed to record half of my morning commute, wanted to see what others think about this. Here's a couple quick notes:

:32 Idling at a red light. O2 sensor movement not oscillating, but steps
1:00 leave from stop
1:12 Falls out of closed loop due to engine load (never seen this before)
1:19 Back into closed loop
2:00 Falls out of closed loop due to low temp for 12 seconds
2:17 Decent length of forward motion, stop and go traffic the rest of the way

Also, the knock counter usually pops up with some number at the beginning of my drives and it stays at that value until I got to my destination. But this time, continued to increase periodically. Should this be a concern?

xavierny25

I've seen a few different pics of members torque screenshots and never seen an o2 react in that fashion. I'd replace it and see where that gets you. It could just be a lazy o2.

At the moment I'm trying to figure out my own issue with stft, ltft and intake air temp.

I just got done cleaning and oiled up my green filter. I'm just waiting for it to dry to put it all back together. I also cleaned the maf sensor with some maf sensor spray cleaner. I'll take a run and record what it's doing now.

xavierny25

Video is a bit long but it covers about 10 block drive with stop and go for traffic light and a 7 minute run on the highway with a stop followed by another 7 minute run back home and the stop and go till I found a parking spot.

Matt

Silver Supporter
I'd be changing that O2 sensor. It looks like it's getting really lazy to me.

OP
OP
Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Yeah, mine definitely isn't responding very quickly. Guess it's time to invest in an O2 sensor socket. :smile:

Maverick6587

OP
OP
Blckshdw

Blckshdw

That's the type I was looking at too, for the same reason. Did it come out easily, or did you have to run the engine to warm it up, or spray penetrating fluid to loosen the threads?

Maverick6587

That's the type I was looking at too, for the same reason. Did it come out easily, or did you have to run the engine to warm it up, or spray penetrating fluid to loosen the threads?
I tried with a cold engine and it seemed like I was going to snap it. I ran the engine for about 5 minutes and then it didn't come out too difficult at all. It was about like removing a lug nut that was torqued on a little too tight.

I couldn't get the thread chaser to screw into the threads at all, I tried for about 5 minutes. I got scared that I was going to ruin the threads so, I just put the new O2 sensor in without chasing the threads. It went in fine and then I just torqued it to spec.

EDIT: Here's the thread chaser I used if you want to be safe.
Lisle 12230 Oxygen Sensor Thread Chaser

Sparky

Having fought with one of these sensors years ago, I would highly recommend spraying it with pb blaster daily for 2-3 days before removal. Pb blaster and a few heat cycles over time works wonders. Going at it day of SUCKS. That sucker has been in there for how many years and heat cycles.

OP
OP
Blckshdw

Blckshdw

I would highly recommend spraying it with pb blaster daily for 2-3 days before removal.
I was considering this, and wondering where my can was, since I haven't used it in a while. Thanks for the confirmation.

OP
OP
Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Swapped out the O2 sensor and ran some errands. Torque shows the same behavior out of the replacement sensor, so that's not it. Anybody have any other ideas?

whodwho

A couple observations I see is the O2 seems to be reacting but the STFT is not switching quickly so the O2 isn't. It also seems that it doesn't want to get over 190* even by the end of your 22 min video.

Edit: looking again the 2nd video the STFT is switching but that first one looked a bit odd

Last edited:

MRRSM

Lifetime VIP Supporter
The O2 Sensor may be providing the RESULTS of something that is happening well ahead of it with many other Sensors; All and Singly, working in weird combinations that can skew its (their)behavior. This Link can help us review all of the other 'Sensors in the Loop’ so to speak and perhaps kindle some interest elsewhere around the Engine as the real cause and origin of the Open Loop - Closed Loop Drop-Out Problem:

Trailblazer-Envoy Engine Sensor Locations and FAQWA (Frequently Asked Questions... WITH ANSWERS to Comments/Questions at the bottom of the Page::

https://www.greatautohelp.com/sensor-location/4200.html

Almost everyone following this Topic generally understands what an O2 Sensor is … But it never hurts to have MORE Information about their Designs/Functions/Foibles to add to and improve upon the chances of getting a Better Diagnostic Dial-In to figure out the present problem:

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/t/oxygen-o2-sensors-diagnose-and-replace/37182

@MAY03LT delves into his suggested procedures for dealing with an O2 Sensor on the GMT-360 Platform Vehicles that simply refuses to be replaced...AND.... The Bonus is that he Follows Up with using his "GYMKO" Tech 2 to Diagnose the differences in perfromance between the Bad O2 and the New One:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Answered questions
Members
Latest member
Tate