Engine light with down arrow

Mrs Homer

Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Hi guys, so the beasty has been running fine then after a highway run today this light came on and the engine had no acceleration power. The check engine light has been going on and off for a while but the code suggests the problem is back by the fuel tank and something to do with venting. So I don't believe there is a connection but this new engine light with the down arrow problem. Going at 7 pm to get the codes read but was curious if any one knew anything about this light or this type of problem.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Reduced engine power light, I believe it only let's the engine run at 40%. It is in the owners manual.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It's in the manual, but it's called Reduced Engine Power, and it typically happens when there is a fault in the safety circuits of the accel pedal or the throttle body and the computer is concerned that it may turn into a Toyota runaway car and end in a high speed crash. So it dials back the power. It may also be a fault in the electroviscous fan clutch circuit that is connected to the accel pedal and throttle body sensors. Do you have a trusted independent mechanic or dealer you go to, or are you a DIY person?

Mrs Homer

Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
We are DIY but if it's too technical we have a guy to look at it. That's where Gregg just took it to read the codes. The guy is a mechanic but there is some stuff he will say just take it to a dealer. If it's remove and replace we can do quite a bit. Thanks for this info (I'll go into research mode lol)

Just got a text, 3 codes come up. appr 1&2 to do with throttle and thermostat or therm sensor.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Could you post the codes? I'm sure we can help guide you.

Mrs Homer

Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
That's all that came up, not really codes :sadcry: the mechanic said they are probably only available at the dealership :sadcry: but get this, he drove away and stopped at a store. came out and no light and it ran fine. It was raining today and it was almost raining sideways on the highway. Do you think something got wet and caused the problem. Even so, obviously moisture on any component isn't a good thing if seals are broken or aged and it will happen again so we need to find out the actual component.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Rain can indeed get into bad connectors.

But the mechanic is a goof IMHO. If the SES or REP lights are on, 99% for sure there are codes of the form "Pxxxx" that a code reader can read. We need those exact codes to help. The classic one for a dying thermostat is P0128, and you should also notice your temp gauge sitting a bit to the left of straight up. If ignored, this code can cost you mileage ($$) and damage your catalytic converter ($$$). Never accept any fluffy explanations about Service Engine lights that omit the exact codes.

Only a cheap-ass code reader can miss engine-related codes and force you to go to another mechanic or the dealer. :confused:

Mrs Homer

Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
You could be right about the code reader. But it was the best we had to work with at the moment. We are looking at going to a dealer cause our guy is saying that the codes coming up shouldn't have gone at the same time. (makes me think that Gregg heard the codes but they drifted in one ear and out the other) Soooooo I'll let you know how we make out.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
My local Advance Auto can read the codes for free.
The only exception is it seems my fuse blows a lot and it is on the same circuit as one of the 12V outlets.
That might be why they couldn't read the codes, if the fuse was blown you can't read them, on my 06 anyway.

Mrs Homer

Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
We're in Canada, it seems no one does anything for free up here lol I had forgotten about a Car Dr dude that I know personally but haven't seen in years. Found his web site and he has lists of trustworthy shops. Gregg is talking to one of them now.

Ok now these people I like. Since the codes have cleared and the beasty is running normal they can't really do much for us unless it happens again and to bring it in then. Not to waste our money unless we need to. She asked if it got wet and like I said earlier the rain was moving sideways so it really is possible. Hopefully that's all it was and it continues to be a good girl.

sevendj

Dec 9, 2011
Mrs Homer said:
We're in Canada, it seems no one does anything for free up here lol

Just had to point out your medical system! ...which I would argue is superior than ours. But hey, some people in America LIKE paying for government-mandated employer-provided insurance that we have absolutely no control over!

Perhaps you can consider the lack of medical expenses as free money towards your TB!!! :yes:

Mrs Homer

Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
I have to agree, I am happy I never have to worry about health care. But in a round about way we do pay for it. We are taxed on just about everything. So in the end we have less disposable income. But I still wouldn't change it. :smile: What I was referring to about the free part is you guys can get the free code reading. Not too many places up here will do it for free. The only place I know of offering something for free is Part Source, they'll check out your battery and charging system, Plus they lend tools. So you don't have to go out and by a special tool that you would only use once.

sevendj

Dec 9, 2011
Mrs Homer said:
I have to agree, I am happy I never have to worry about health care. But in a round about way we do pay for it. We are taxed on just about everything. So in the end we have less disposable income. But I still wouldn't change it. :smile: What I was referring to about the free part is you guys can get the free code reading. Not too many places up here will do it for free. The only place I know of offering something for free is Part Source, they'll check out your battery and charging system, Plus they lend tools. So you don't have to go out and by a special tool that you would only use once.

You're absolutely right! Nothing is free. But that's the beauty of a civilization - working together to create a better life for all to enjoy. I suppose some people would rather they create a better life for themselves than others, but that's a philosophical debate for another website.

Sorry for bringing up healthcare issues on a car website, and even a little more sorry about this bump, but I got PM'd with debate over our healthcare system and just want to set the record straight, publicly, in case people feel the need to try and debate me again: My fault for bringing it up in the first place! :duh:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online