NEED HELP Engine dies with DRL on

jasonh2244

Original poster
May 19, 2020
wi
I have a 2006 trailblazer I have several problems but the main one is every time i start the truck it dies unless i turn the daytime running lights off. with the lights off it runs fine as soon as you turn them on it dies. 2nd problem is i noticed that when i turn the key forward my cel does not come on nor does abs and also when i have the cruise on and driving no cruise light illuminates not sure if all this is related or not but could really use some help.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Changed title for better responses.

I was sure someone recently else had a similar issue but found this older thread.

Methinks it could be a ground issue. Check all the underhood grounds.

Reactions: mrrsm

jasonh2244

Original poster
May 19, 2020
wi
Changed title for better responses.

I was sure someone recently else had a similar issue but found this older thread.

Methinks it could be a ground issue. Check all the underhood grounds.

I think I figured out the problem. I took the driver side headlight out and noticed that someone had cut the two wires for the turn signal and put it back together with butt connectors but when they did that they had the yellow wire going to the tan and the tan going to the yellow. so I cut them and put them back the way it should have been. so after that with the headlight still out i started it and turned the lights on and the truck stayed running. problem fixed so i thought. so i shut the truck off and plug the 3 connectors back into the headlight and put everything back together start the truck and it dies. turned the daytimes running lights off start it again and it stayed running so i was right back where i started. so I took the headlight back out and unplugged all 3 connectors started the truck and it stayed running. i then plug the turn signal still running. i plug the parking light in still running. then as soon as i plugged the 4 wire connector in for the headlights it died. so if im correct the issue is in the headlight itself correct?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
To isolate the problem down to its potential cause... Here is some additional information:

(1) It is critical NOT to swap in just 'any relay' (such as the Typical *Clicking* Solenoid Type) into the Slot for the DRL or Headlights. This is because the Low-Light performance aspects of the DRLs is controlled by the Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) happening at 0-7 Volts DC on the Class 2 Network single wire in between the PCM and the BCM.

Thus, only the Special $40.00 Relay capable of performing the rapidly pulsed switching necessary to achieve the DRL performance should be installed in the Power Distribution Center.

(2) When the DRLs are activated, it sends a signal to the BCM which grounds the Circuit at the G101 Ground Location as described in this On Topic Link below. Check out these Diagrams and then locate-inspect-clean-repair the G101 Ground for any possible Damage or Corrosion problems in between all of the contact metal surfaces.:

G107.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And I would especially take apart, inspect and clean the ones on the engine block.

Does anything else happen when the engine dies? Like windows, radio, gauges and signals that stop working?

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
I think I figured out the problem. I took the driver side headlight out and noticed that someone had cut the two wires for the turn signal and put it back together with butt connectors but when they did that they had the yellow wire going to the tan and the tan going to the yellow. so I cut them and put them back the way it should have been. so after that with the headlight still out i started it and turned the lights on and the truck stayed running. problem fixed so i thought. so i shut the truck off and plug the 3 connectors back into the headlight and put everything back together start the truck and it dies. turned the daytimes running lights off start it again and it stayed running so i was right back where i started. so I took the headlight back out and unplugged all 3 connectors started the truck and it stayed running. i then plug the turn signal still running. i plug the parking light in still running. then as soon as i plugged the 4 wire connector in for the headlights it died. so if im correct the issue is in the headlight itself correct?
Have you actually check the relay associated with the DRL? IF the wiring was "screwed" as you have found, it perhaps is equally likely that the person "played in the relay sandbox" also. Having said that, have you use any kind of meter to check the circuit out for voltage and grounds at the expected places?

jasonh2244

Original poster
May 19, 2020
wi
And I would especially take apart, inspect and clean the ones on the engine block.

Does anything else happen when the engine dies? Like windows, radio, gauges and signals that stop working?

no everything seems to work as it should. the only other issue ive noticed is when I turn the ignition forward I have no check engine light no abs light and also when the cruise is on no cruise light.

jasonh2244

Original poster
May 19, 2020
wi
Have you actually check the relay associated with the DRL? IF the wiring was "screwed" as you have found, it perhaps is equally likely that the person "played in the relay sandbox" also. Having said that, have you use any kind of meter to check the circuit out for voltage and grounds at the expected places?

no the only thing I did was check the 4 wire connector that plugs into the headlight assembly for the drl and headlight for 2 powers and and 2 grounds with a test light and I had 2 powers and 2 grounds there so I assumed the wiring to the headlight was good.

jasonh2244

Original poster
May 19, 2020
wi
To isolate the problem down to its potential cause... Here is some additional information:

(1) It is critical NOT to swap in just 'any relay' (such as the Typical *Clicking* Solenoid Type) into the Slot for the DRL or Headlights. This is because the Low-Light performance aspects of the DRLs is controlled by the Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) happening at 0-7 Volts DC on the Class 2 Network single wire in between the PCM and the BCM.

Thus, only the Special $40.00 Relay capable of performing the rapidly pulsed switching necessary to achieve the DRL performance should be installed in the Power Distribution Center.

(2) When the DRLs are activated, it sends a signal to the BCM which grounds the Circuit at the G101 Ground Location as described in this On Topic Link below. Check out these Diagrams and then locate-inspect-clean-repair the G101 Ground for any possible Damage or Corrosion problems in between all of the contact metal surfaces.:

thank you for the great info I appreciate it and also the ground locations I plan to take them all off and clean them up to help prevent further issues down the road.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online