Engine Bay LEDS

STLtrailbSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
No not ricer nonsense, Im looking to add a hood light for popping the hood at night I have already been in some situations I would of loved one. Im reaching out to you, any idea how LEDS will hold up to engine bay heat. And is there a switch that can be used to activate when the hood opens?? just feeling this out but I really want a damn hood light lol.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I haven't seen it done in person, but there were members on the OS that put LED strips on the underside of the hood, tied them to a hood switch, so when the hood was open, the LEDs would illuminate the engine bay. They weren't too active at the time I saw their mods, so no idea how well they've held up.

[EBAY]120480024835[/EBAY]

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
not sure if your truck already has a light there but if it does you can tap into that, just put some led strips around the engine and then on the hood under it and it should light up nicely :yes:

STLtrailbSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I did a mock up this is a scrap from a strip LED thats just 5 SMDs I love the hood on the OS probably end up with that
IMAG0327.jpg

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
yup and with the swtch carlton posted its as simple as running constant 12+ from battery to the leds, and ground from the leds to the switch, you drill a hole in the metal up by the cowl or the fan shrowd, bolt it down wit the suppiled hardware and connect the ground wire to it from the led, the lights come on by the switch ground out when the hood opens

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Blckshdw said:
I haven't seen it done in person, but there were members on the OS that put LED strips on the underside of the hood, tied them to a hood switch.

[EBAY]120480024835[/EBAY]

Ok that is scary, lol I have been thinking about adding some LED lights under the hood and this was what I was going to do to switch it. That or a small toggle switch so I could turn them on when necessary.

As far as heat, if you go to the outer edges of the hood I think it would be fine, I would think that one of the plastic covers would hold up to under hood temps as well and solder and wiring (ton of it already there).

I am having a similar concern with a nylon fitting on the new air intake I made. It has no signs of any heat damage or anything. If worse comes to worse, just get some of the ebay LED tubes, usually can be fund for under $10. Cheap and if they mess up, it might not have been a good idea then.

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher