Encoder motor

gmac310

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Could anyone tell me the proper location of the drive spline for the encoder motor? I took mine off because I couldn't get my truck to shift out of 4lo. When I took it off either the encoder motor turned or the shaft coming out of the TC. Any way now the encoder motor sline is at 3 o'clock looking straight on at it with the 'nub' at top but the shaft on the TC is at 12 o'clock. If I grab it with vice grips and turn the shaft, it only rotates between 11 o'clock and 12 o'clock positions so I can't bolt the encoder motor back on. Looking at a few websites they show the spline at 12 o'clock which would match the position of my TC shaft. I also seem to have lost my parking pawl, is this even possible? Truck wants to roll with the encoder removed even with trans in park. :confused:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
You may have rotated the transfer case shaft past LO into Neutral. That disconnects the transmission and the parking pawl from the equation.

Sorry I'm not familiar with the slot position on the shaft.

Were you stuck in LO range and it wouldn't come out when you had the tranny in NEUTRAL? It won't come out of low range in PARK because of an interlock.

gmac310

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Exactly, I couldn't get it to come out of 4lo with the switch. The lights would change to the current setting of the switch by blinking but the TC wouldn't shift out of 4lo so I drove home very gingerly and pulled the encoder off to make sure it worked.

se1911

Jun 15, 2013
I recently had my motor off and both the motor and the TC were at the 12 o'clock position in 2hi.

With the motor off, have you tried changing the 4wd selector switch on the dash to see if the motor will rotate?

gmac310

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
se1911 said:
I recently had my motor off and both the motor and the TC were at the 12 o'clock position in 2hi.

With the motor off, have you tried changing the 4wd selector switch on the dash to see if the motor will rotate?

I did. The only way I could get any movement from it would be if the trans was in neutral with key on. Half the time the motor would rotate barely an eighth of a rotation and the other half the motor would make noise but not turn the spline.

gmac310

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Problem solved, it appears the encoder was bad. Got a used one from a donor vehicle and all is back to normal. I also got the TCCM in case I need it in the future. I was having a problem with my TCCM not waking up when starting vehicle.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online