ELM327 & Class 2 Serial Data

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
I *believe* C7 is "External Access - Status" (vs. C6 "External Access - Command"). Associated addresses:

C4 Door Locks - Command
C5 Door Locks - Status
C6 External Access - Command
C7 External Access - Status

04colyZQ8

Apr 23, 2019
Bc
Ok and what module does that go to?

Bcm?

(Mod edit: Posts merged. You can edit your posts for 10 minutes if you need to add more info)

Last edited by a moderator:

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
To determine the specific modules involved you will need to check the Source & Target data in the messages. As an example (apologies for the eye chart!) , here is a data captured from my '03 Suburban as I lock the doors:
Capture.JPG
Modules present are 40 - BCM; A0 - Driver Door Module; & A1 - Passenger Door Module.
In the first line the Source 40 - BCM sends out a door lock command to Target C4 - Door Locks - Command. The Driver Side & Passenger Side recognize this Command message and respond with acknowledgements. Line 2 is from Source A0 Driver Door Module to Target C5 - Door Locks Status; line 3 is from Source A1 - Passenger Door Module to C5 - Door Locks Status. The BCM recognizes these as acknowledgements.

Edit: I cannot speak to C7 as I do not have specific examples. That said, the process would be the same.

Last edited:

04colyZQ8

Apr 23, 2019
Bc
To determine the specific modules involved you will need to check the Source & Target data in the messages. As an example (apologies for the eye chart!) , here is a data captured from my '03 Suburban as I lock the doors:
View attachment 107931
Modules present are 40 - BCM; A0 - Driver Door Module; & A1 - Passenger Door Module.
In the first line the Source 40 - BCM sends out a door lock command to Target C4 - Door Locks - Command. The Driver Side & Passenger Side recognize this Command message and respond with acknowledgements. Line 2 is from Source A0 Driver Door Module to Target C5 - Door Locks Status; line 3 is from Source A1 - Passenger Door Module to C5 - Door Locks Status. The BCM recognizes these as acknowledgements.

Edit: I cannot speak to C7 as I do not have specific examples. That said, the process would be the same.
Yes I wish I had a excel spreadsheet that organized my messages like that!

I understand how it works more or less..lol

But I don’t have a module C7!

I have ,
Pcm 10
Bcm 40
Cluster 60
Abs 28
Sdm 58 ?
Battery module 16
Theft module C0 ?

I have nothing remotely close to C7.
What I don’t understand is how modules seem to have multiple address they send and receive from? Example cluster should be 60 yet seems to receive and possibly send from EA or EB as well. In fact there is hardly any messages to and from 60 at all.

Pcm seems to use 11, 10, and 93.

Could C7 be the onstar module I unplugged? Or the radio? They are the only two modules I’m missing. I have no chimes any more just turn signal sounds that’s it. After removing stock radio.

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
OBD uses both Physical Addressing & Functional Addressing; C7 is a functional address.

Physical addressing allows a message to be addressed to a specific node or to all nodes or to a non-existent, null node. The information in this message is of relevance only to a particular node, so the other nodes on the bus should ignore the message, except for the case of the "all nodes" address. Functional addressing allows a message to be addressed or sent to one or more nodes on the network interested in that function.

Functional addressing is intended for messages that may be of interest to more than a single node. For example, an exterior lamp "off" message could be sent to all nodes controlling the vehicle exterior lamps by using a functional address. The functional address consists of a primary ID and may include a secondary ID and may also include an extended address.

Check out this link for more in-depth details: Class B Data Communication Network Messages— Detailed Header Formats and Physical Address Assignments

I have attached the Excel file I use for decoding messages on my '03 Suburban (raw data gets entered in cell B2, the rest is all just Lookup). The Lookup tab has a full listing of addresses. Feel free to PM me if you need additional details.

There are additional spec references in the Lookup tab.

Attachments

• OBD_Console.xlsx
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
Reactions: Tony's_04

04colyZQ8

Apr 23, 2019
Bc
Desperate for a vpw remote start message! Just need a log of a class 2 starting vehicle , when started with remote start.

-These are:
- 2005 to 2007
-Pontiac grand pri
-2005-2009 uplander or Montana
-2005-2008 hhr?
-select Cadillac models from 05-08?

Thanks very much for getting so much of this info documented up front. It's definitely helped me get started on my current project. I'm seeing some weird undocumented (at least in the 99 version of the standard... anyone got a later J2178-4 handy?) secondary IDs on more common primary IDs, as well as some things I just thought were interesting.

This is all relating to a 03 Savana 3500 with an LQ4, at least that's what the engine came from. No other modules on bus, only VCM. OS ID 12593058.
Some interesting messages I see:
88 53 10 04 C4 (appears to be engine status, runstatus, 04 = not running? plus checksum)
88 53 10 84 E2 (appears to be engine status, runstatus, 84 = running? plus checksum)
- I think those two basically just use the msb of the secondary ID to indicate engine running or not.

68 EA 10 0A 09 46 (I see this very regularly in my log. From discussion in this thread I think it's PRNDL indicator position... but this VCM was converted to manual by hptuners, so who knows how it configured the transmission segment, this may be insane data that doesn't match any factory OS bus message.)

49 92 10 01 BE (vehicle security message of some sort. VATS is disabled on this VCM, I have no idea what the rest of this data means.)

68 13 10 11 00 00 66 (throttle pedal position. Appears to report infrequently but all I did was idle it during this log.)

88 09 10 22 41 BE (engine torque. Unknown secondary ID. Last byte and csum vary. Maybe torque contribution per cylinder???)

8A EA 10 A0 *3bytes*
8A EA 10 20 *3bytes* (displays, unknown secondary IDs, data varies. I would love to know what these are, just because I'm curious.)

88 1B 10 10 0E D2 6B (engine rpm, but secondary ID of 10 doesn't show in my pdf, what format are the next two bytes? I was idling at 500-750ish RPM so I doubt it's just plain RPM, doesn't seem to be ignition events per minute either since that would be 948rpm for a 4stroke V8.)

The great news (at least for me) is that engine oil pressure, fuel level, coolant temp, vehicle speed all report accurately per SAE J2178-4 tables, and that's most of the way to what I need for my custom dash project, so aside from RPM this is mostly academic for me. If you want more data from more donor vehicles, I've attached a copy of the log I took... but be warned it's from PuTTY w/o timestamps not the android app you use.

Attachments

• ELM327 2023 10 07 014552 0 for GMTNation.txt
    20.9 KB · Views: 3

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
88 53 10 04 C4 (appears to be engine status, runstatus, 04 = not running? plus checksum)
88 53 10 84 E2 (appears to be engine status, runstatus, 84 = running? plus checksum)
- I think those two basically just use the msb of the secondary ID to indicate engine running or not

Correct. From memory I think what you are speaking of is called the "Q Bit". Been a while since I have read up on that so I may be off.

68 EA 10 0A 09 46 (I see this very regularly in my log. From discussion in this thread I think it's PRNDL indicator position... but this VCM was converted to manual by hptuners, so who knows how it configured the transmission segment, this may be insane data that doesn't match any factory OS bus message.)

Yes, the trans range selector position. As you say, once tweaked by a tuner it is essentially useless.

49 92 10 01 BE (vehicle security message of some sort. VATS is disabled on this VCM, I have no idea what the rest of this data means.)

In factory settings there is a dialog between the PCM/ECM and the BCM working out the details and status of the vehicle security. This message you quoted looks like a status request for secondary ID $01 from a PCM.

You seem to be on track gettings these dialed in.

The reason many are not in the pdf is manufacturers are free to create their own secondary IDs where the "standard" SAE documented IDs differ from what the manufacturer desires. Things such as resolution, units etc.

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
8A EA 10 A0 *3bytes*
8A EA 10 20 *3bytes* (displays, unknown secondary IDs, data varies. I would love to know what these are, just because I'm curious.)

These are for displays generally for the IPC. Mainly warning lights. $A0 will be a light ON, $20 will be a light OFF. Like 8A EA 10 A0 8C 00 is the cruise control light ON and 8A EA 10 20 8C 00 is cruise control light OFF for early TrailBlazers.

88 1B 10 10 0E D2 6B (engine rpm, but secondary ID of 10 doesn't show in my pdf, what format are the next two bytes? I was idling at 500-750ish RPM so I doubt it's just plain RPM, doesn't seem to be ignition events per minute either since that would be 948rpm for a 4stroke V8.)

For my vehicles I divide the 2 byte value by 4 for engine rpm here. Both inline 6 and V8 engines. Same secondary ID should be the same definition. So your example should be 948.5 rpm.

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Thanks very much for getting so much of this info documented up front. It's definitely helped me get started on my current project. I'm seeing some weird undocumented (at least in the 99 version of the standard... anyone got a later J2178-4 handy?) secondary IDs on more common primary IDs, as well as some things I just thought were interesting.

This is all relating to a 03 Savana 3500 with an LQ4, at least that's what the engine came from. No other modules on bus, only VCM. OS ID 12593058.
Some interesting messages I see:
- I think those two basically just use the msb of the secondary ID to indicate engine running or not.

68 13 10 11 00 00 66 (throttle pedal position. Appears to report infrequently but all I did was idle it during this log.)

88 09 10 22 41 BE (engine torque. Unknown secondary ID. Last byte and csum vary. Maybe torque contribution per cylinder???)

8A EA 10 A0 *3bytes*

The great news (at least for me) is that engine oil pressure, fuel level, coolant temp, vehicle speed all report accurately per SAE J2178-4 tables, and that's most of the way to what I need for my custom dash project, so aside from RPM this is mostly academic for me. If you want more data from more donor vehicles, I've attached a copy of the log I took... but be warned it's from PuTTY w/o timestamps not the android app you use.

I loaded your logfile into the shared Google Sheet here...

It should be viewable in a browser from this link. The sheet is not documented so feel free to ask questions.

T56Tahoe

Mar 10, 2024
Olympia, Wa
Well this thread has been quite a read. Thanks to all who have taken the time to share for the benefit of others.
Like Kastien I am trying reconcile the aftermath of an engine swap.

I have a 2002 Tahoe with a E-ROD LS3 6.2 that only communicates with CAN. So using this forums information and others; am intending to build a protocol converter between CAN and J1850VPW.

If anyone knows of such a device I would love to hear about it - here.

As the LS3 comes from Chevy completely tuned and smog legal, it runs and drives fine. I am however left without a functioning dash, ABS and HVAC.
I built an analog to digital converter board to add a bunch of extra senders and some redundant so I can report things outside of the CAN interface. I'll add outputs to control the HVAC later.

If I make progress, I hope to post my project details in hopes of helping others.

Reactions: AmpOverload

AmpOverload

Jul 10, 2023
USA
I have a 2002 Tahoe with a E-ROD LS3 6.2 that only communicates with CAN. So using this forums information and others; am intending to build a protocol converter between CAN and J1850VPW.

If anyone knows of such a device I would love to hear about it - here.
Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, I don't know of any pre-built VPW/CAN protocol converter device, but it sounds like you have the skills to design one.

About a year ago I designed a PCB (Printed Circuit Board) to implement VPW protocol, for use as what I call a "Hardware Vehicle Simulator" (HVS). In case that sparks your interest, I posted about it here.

Of course, that would only be about half of the needed hardware/design.

But since that hardware has proven incredibly useful with my VXDIAG VCX Nano (SAE J2534 hardware) and Tech2Win software, I've been thinking about designing & building another "HVS" but one that speaks CAN protocol. To that end, I recently bought a CANbus "shield" (daughter-board) for an Arduino board. Haven't even begun to pursue that yet, but I have the hardware to play with, eventually! :smile:

I know that your intended device and my device are differently purposed designs, but there would certainly be some overlap, so this is just some "food for thought", in case that helps spur your ideas and/or forum discussion.

I would very much like to hear more about your efforts, whenever appropriate. Good luck!

Reactions: T56Tahoe

T56Tahoe

Mar 10, 2024
Olympia, Wa
I saw your post on the board and have not had a chance to go through it yet. As this is almost the same project, I'll be glad to collaborate in helping us all out. You have been doing a mountain of work helping everyone on this forum so once I get a bit smarter, I'll try to contribute back.
I have a big pile of CAN, Arduino and related DIY resources and am trying to drill down to the most elegant, achievable and focused bits to make progress. I am really struggling to understand the problem and all the programming involved.
I'll keep reading here and everywhere and maybe I'll learn something.
Till then Cheers

AmpOverload

Jul 10, 2023
USA
You have been doing a mountain of work helping everyone on this forum [...]
I fear that you may be confusing me with @TJBaker57. He has truly done a ton of work and made countless posts, generously sharing what he's learned. I'm a relative newcomer here (but a long-time SAE J1850 experimenter, both VPW and PWM, with a tiny smattering of CAN experience mixed in). I try to share what I've learned too, though. :smile:

It sounds like this could be the start of an interesting adventure, for all involved. I'd better start learning Arduino and get that CANbus shield's headers soldered on sometime soon! :smile:

Reactions: TJBaker57

T56Tahoe

Mar 10, 2024
Olympia, Wa
I did indeed have the two of you blended in my head when I wrote the prior post. But a content contributor you so - "Right On Man"

I'm making a little progress but I keep falling in rabbit holes - like - watch out:
Automotive Linux

You didn't click on it did you - Now fellow tinker's we are in the same marsh up to our. . .

Hey Rocky let me pull another rabbit out of my hat. Hey Bullwinkle, that trick never works!
A local club arranged a dyno tuning training seminar so I'm in getting ready for a drive with people I have never met. What could go wrong?

My old road tripper never gets entirely finished

Attachments

• IMG_2842.jpeg
    IMG_2842.jpeg
    542.2 KB · Views: 2
  • MGB-EFI.pdf
    439 KB · Views: 2

T56Tahoe

Mar 10, 2024
Olympia, Wa
So my 2002 Tahoe has a 430 hp Connect-&-Cruise 6.2 with a Magnum 6-sp and 4:88 TrueTrack. It runs great but the only gauge I have is the:
UltraGauge🤓
This is a real cool OBD2 gauge - But it's very tiny

Oh well it runs super good and is reliable - but I'm not feeling good on how long it is taking me to figure out how to hack the drivetrain and BCU busses together.

AmpOverload

Jul 10, 2023
USA
I'm making a little progress but I keep falling in rabbit holes - like - watch out:
Automotive Linux
I'm a big fan of Linux. It's really all I use, for well over 20 years now. All of my OBD2 utilities (to gather and analyze vehicle data, typically for diagnosis) run on Linux desktop/laptop PCs. I'd heard of 'Automotive Grade Linux' but haven't really spent any time looking into it, so thanks for mentioning it -- another rabbit hole, indeed! :smile:

T56Tahoe

Mar 10, 2024
Olympia, Wa
I got my first copy of Linux on 10 5-1/4 floppy's. It has always amazed me for all the barriers it has broken down in owning our computers. The other amazing thing is how resistant some are to giving it a try.

I'll set it up on virtual machine and a Raspberry Pie 4+ and at least see if I can understand it enough to get it going and try to interface a few analog inputs.

I'll probably have something to report in a week.

santon

Jun 3, 2020
Israel
Does anybody know the serial commands for the PRNDL display of the instrument cluster? My VFD PRNDL display is old and dim, so I am thinking about building an additional LCD display for the PRNDL. I know that command AE 18 FF FF 00 00 00 00 tests the PRiNDL by moving the cursor through all the letters, but I don't know the commands for the P, R, L, and so on.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online