Electronic Brakes/Brake Controller needed

kdannyk

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Me and My Wife are going to be looking a pop camper next weekend. The owner says it has a EZ brake system which from my under standing is electric brakes on the trailer. My 2005 TB LT does not have a brake controller installed and i'm not sure if I need on. Would there be a manufacture brake controller all ready installed?

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
You would need a brake controller. For your vehicle, the wiring for the brake controller is hidden under the plate below the driver's knees, but it is easy to locate. The brake controller would then be mounted on that plate below and attached to the wiring.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=52888

The above thread has a PDF that will walk you through it. In my case the trailer dealer installed the controller for me since I was picking up the trailer anyway, but I pulled the wires out of the plate for them so that the installers had them sticking out already. They didn't charge for the install.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The EZ Brakes system seems to be self contained where it has its own battery and uses the brake lights to activate. It has its own brake controller, probably time based. It sounds like a good system except that without a controller inside the truck, you can't activate them independently from the trucks brakes if the trailer was to sway or skid, although you could lightly touch the brakes to activate them. I guess it will be OK, you just have to be sure the battery is good, that it has a 7 pin round plug (or an adapter) and that you connect the red wire next to the battery under the hood to the positive post at the mega fuse so the battery will charge.

If it ever fails or the battery dies, it would probably be cheaper and better to just get a gravity based controller and install it as per the instructions posted above.

Just my :twocents:

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

kdannyk

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to connect the red wire next to the battery under the hood to the positive post at the mega fuse tonight. I haven't seen the camper yet but it will be interesting to see the EZbrake system. I've never used a brake controller but seem like there isn't much to this system.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I know it's metric, same as the other bolts under the hood with a 10mm head, but other than that, I don't know. Just take one off the top of the radiator and find a nut that fits that. I just used a spare out of my bucket-o-bolts.

kdannyk

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
It was a M6 nut for the mega fuze post. Got mine at Lowes just in case people were wondering.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online