Electrical

Iginan62

Original poster
Jan 21, 2021
Alabama
Whats up people new to site.
I've had a 2004 trailblazer Lt in line 6 for 6 years now .
Its been a pretty good vehicle.
Lately my fuel relay has been shorting out,also have high voltage problem
I'm not a tech wizard.
Any help would be much appreciated

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The first check you would need to do in my opinion, is to take your truck, assuming it still runs and drives, to your local Autozone, and have them run a ARPS test on it. They can do this in the parking lot. If it passes the hand held test, that doesnt mean its good, but likely is good. The next step would be taking the alternator out, and having it bench tested.

High voltage is as bad, if not worse, than low voltage. Can burn up windings, relays, electrical motors, etc. One problem COULD be related to other. But it also might not.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
How did you determine you have a high voltage issue? Don't rely solely on the gauge. Use a meter at the battery. Also check that the battery has a clean solid connection to both posts. There have been a spike of electrical issues lately due to poorly connected batteries.

Iginan62

Original poster
Jan 21, 2021
Alabama
The first check you would need to do in my opinion, is to take your truck, assuming it still runs and drives, to your local Autozone, and have them run a ARPS test on it. They can do this in the parking lot. If it passes the hand held test, that doesnt mean its good, but likely is good. The next step would be taking the alternator out, and having it bench tested.

High voltage is as bad, if not worse, than low voltage. Can burn up windings, relays, electrical motors, etc. One problem COULD be related to other. But it also might not.

Thanks for your reply
I did take the alternator to have it tested,and with my luck here's lately it was bad.
Only six months old.so got another at no charge of course. Installed new one made sure battery connection were clean.Also got new fuel pump relay .

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You should also get your battery tested. If it's shorted internally, it might be overworking the alternator.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online