NEED HELP Electrical Problem - Turn Signal/Harzard

tonyscha

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
My 97x keeps blowing the hazard fuse which controls turn signal and hazard. Issue started last night out of the blue.

1) Last night fuse blew
2) Replaced this morning, drive ~5 miles to work no issues.
3) Before I left work, fuse blew again
4) Replaced fuse again, still blowing.

Other items I tried
1) Removing rear tail lights
2) Put new fuse in
3) Not sure if its a coincidence or not, but it seems like right after hitting the breaks, the hazard fuse will blow.
3a) First time, I hit the brakes, fuse blew right away
3b) Second time, pumped breaks 5-6 times, fuse blew.

So any recommendations on where to start troubleshooting, or common things to look for?

Thanks

- tonyscha

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
New one to me. The brake and turn signals are separate unless it's been modded, but since it has amber turn signals, it wouldn't make sense to have quad turn signals. Or there is a short in the circuit somewhere. Have you tried changing all the bulbs? I have seen in the past where a filament would short to another post and make all the parking lights flash. Did you have somebody look at the lights as you pressed the brakes? Look normal?

Maybe download the manuals and check the schematics.

tonyscha

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
New one to me. The brake and turn signals are separate unless it's been modded, but since it has amber turn signals, it wouldn't make sense to have quad turn signals. Or there is a short in the circuit somewhere. Have you tried changing all the bulbs? I have seen in the past where a filament would short to another post and make all the parking lights flash. Did you have somebody look at the lights as you pressed the brakes? Look normal?

Maybe download the manuals and check the schematics.

This is going to be a fun challenge to solve, went out this morning, determined to solve the issue, put a new fuse in, and working as normal. Left them running for 20-30 minutes with no issues.

I did not change (or check the bulbs as you suggested), however I did check to make sure the brake lights vs signal lights and everything looks normal. As I said in my first post... not sure if its was coincidence or not.

I did pull out all the lights yesterday and did a visual inspection of all the wires near the plugs, and I didn't see any lose wires.

Looks like I need to pick up another pack of fuse's for troubleshooting :sadcry:

Last edited:

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
IF you have a tilt steering wheel, and use it often, check the wires in the steering column from the turn signal switch. The 'tilting action' pinches the wires at the pivot point. After a while, the rub through.
Used to be a fairly common problem on GM's.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online