Electrical gurus - new Backup cam interferes with FOB range

candem

Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
NC
2002 Trailblazer LS 220,000 miles.

I Installed a mirror dashcam that also has a backup camera.
Everything appeared to be working until I noticed that my remote FOB has lost its range. To open or lock the vehicle I had to right next to it before it would work.
Unplugged the back up camera and it works normally.

This unit is a Jeemak bought from Amazon.

I had previously had a backup camera but my video stereo died so it was not in use.
The one thing I was surprised at is this camera does not have a ground. The cable has a slim 5 wire plug to connect to the camera with a red wire coming off it that connects to the power from my backup lights. Picture attached
My old camera had a ground wire as well as the red power wire.

The camera itself is also not grounded in anyway as they provided double sided tape to stick it in place.

Any suggestions or explanation of why this could be happening? My electrical knowledge is very basic.

Thanks

Attachments

• Backup cam cable.jpg
    Backup cam cable.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 3

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Where did you hook up the reverse light? Possibly tapped into the wrong wire?

Kinda strange to have 5 pins because most cameras just need 4. 2 for power and 2 for video. Maybe the ground for the camera power is coming off the video ground.

I'm thinking that the camera is emitting some sort of RF interference. Is it a wireless type?

candem

Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
NC
Thanks for the response.

It is not a wireless type. I ran that cable from the rear all the way to the front mirror.

The reverse light was patched into the driver side rear lights when I installed the previous camera. When it is connected it works as expected. The camera comes on when I put the vehicle into reverse and goes off when not in reverse.

I agree on the 5 pins.

The video camera itself is not grounded. It came with a built in cable that plugs into that 5 pin plug. They provided double sided tape and that is how I stuck it to the vehicle.

The only place I can see it gets ground is from the dashcam at the front of the vehicle. That draws power from a USB cable. I purchased a USB connector that I hard wired and then plugged the USB cable into that.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That is a weird cable arrangement for the ground. It does work but seems to interfere with the RKE. My knowledge of RF frequencies and interference is limited. Maybe someone else has some ideas?

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Some of these cheap Chinese electronics are very "noisy". They produce rf harmonics from their internal oscillators and aren't shielded.
But this shouldn't be an issue because the camera should be off when you are using the key fob. Pull the USB power adapter and see if the keyfob operates normally. You may need to power it differently.

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
remote FOB -is this your key? (sorry I ain't got one to know), but if it is has the battery been changed in it recently? My remote on my ram lasted about 6 or 7 years before it needed replacing but like you I had to be very near it to open it instead of being across the parking lot. Maybe if the battery is a bit weak it may not be able to over come any interference from the camera.

Reactions: Mooseman

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
New battery or not, I have to be within about 20 feet or so of my TB. Since the receiver is in the liftgate, I can be a bit further if coming up to it from the rear. Our '04 Impala - literally across the parking lot. I couldn't remember if I locked it at the airport one time so I held the fob up and clicked it from the shuttle bus as we were leaving the lot. I saw the lights flash and felt better.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.